first trip to kansas

blkdog

I will be heading out to kansas for the first time in early Dec and would like to hunt for both quail and pheasant I'm looking for some advice on where would be a good area to hunt for both birds this will be my first time quail hunting so all advice would be helpful.Thank you for any help
thanks again

Last year was my 1st time to KS. We waited until the Upland Bird Forecast came out. They will give a zone of highest bird density. We picked an area within that zone that had the highest number of public walk-in areas nearby.
Pheasant was our #1 priority, then quail, then chicken.

I will be heading out to kansas for the first time in early Dec and would like to hunt for both quail and pheasant I'm looking for some advice on where would be a good area to hunt for both birds this will be my first time quail hunting so all advice would be helpful.Thank you for any help
thanks again

It is too early to tell at this point. Based on my scouting trips, I don't think SW is going to be the "hotspot" this year, though there are plenty of birds to have a good time. I spent a couple days traveling the back roads around Garden City and saw a huge covey of quail. I saw about 60 pheasants each evening, but the locals say the numbers are way down. I also spent some time in Pawnee county. Sure didn't see as many pheasants there as I did near Garden. However, there are many variables that come into play when you're scouting this early in the year (crops everywhere for example). I think NW KS is going to be a little better than SW from what I heard in a phone conversation with Randy Rogers. Either way, get your trip booked and deciding where to go will be much easier in a couple of months.

Usually in my area of the state, Hugoton and Liberal has a good number of birds. I think it will be better than last year. I think KSBritt is right, NW KS is going to be a better bet, probable has more Walk in Area as well.

As others stated, it's best to wait for the upland forecast. Get as much info as possible and then pick a particular area that has lots of WIHA. There will also be many good first hand reports on this site (more accurate than KDWP reports).

Good luck!

Lefty

Back