First Time N/NW Iowa Pheasant Hunt

GallatinBull

Gentlemen,

Rookie Iowa pheasant hunter here, please go easy on me....

I potentially will be hunting in mid-November around North/Northwest Iowa area for pheasants. This will be my first time hunting this area. We have permission to hunt around 1000 acres that is farmed - but has some CRP and irrigation ditches throughout.

Need some advice on how to hunt the birds in this area. We will have a flushing dog with us. I have hunted pheasants around South Dakota and Kansas before, but never on a do it yourself type hunt.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
GB

well all i tell tell ya, since i'm in indiana, i always hunt everything the same as every other state, and i've never been disappoint. Plus you work with a flushing dog which I've found out in the past is better (my opinion) than a pointer due to birds being alittle different.
On the other side of this is what part of Iowa are you looking at? I'm heading out to the webster/fort dodge area at the end of nov. 1st of dec. let me know how the hunting was and any place that you like if doing any state ground.

IA pheasants

I'm sure it isn't much different here than other parts, but by November the dumb birds will be dead. Pay attention to if/where the ditch ends, and have someone block when you can. Flushing dogs ARE better w/ wild pheasants. Although the GSP and English's will hold a point, pheasants won't, and will run out the end of the ditch before you can catch up to them or the dogs a couple hundred yards in front of you.

gallatinbull
im from nw iowa (obrien county)and the birds here love to run for ever... u might get some dumb ones that sit tight but it mostly hens.. not to scare u off but i have a friend over by whittmore (just east of algona) and he says he hasnt seen alot .. but in mid nov. might be the right time.. the corn is late this year so that will be about when all the corn will be out.... so best of luck be safe have a great hunt and call well go for a drink or a hunt:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the info and well wishes. Definitley will have someone in front to stand guard.

Hopefully other hunters wont get them all? Sage - will take you up on a beer if time permits!

Work the drainage ditches slowly

GallatinBull, be sure to work the drainage ditches very slowly. If it is cold and windy the birds like to hunker down under the long grass on the steep sides of drainage ditches out of the wind. We have had good success just letting the dog work slow and hard probing the long grass. Sometimes you have to literally kick in the weeds to get the birds to flush. It is great fun watching the dog work. Good Luck!

Thankyou Condor. Will try this!

The dogs we are taking are used to south georgia quail so this should be interesting.

GB

gallatinbull
if u can try to hunt wateways to ... i have getting bird out of them this year...

We returned a few days ago from our hunt in Iowa. Had a great time. Only bad part was the long drive from Georgia! Everyone on here that offered advice - thank you.

We primarily hunted family farm land around Kossuth and Winnebago Counties. Got into lots of pheasants, mostly hens. I do not know if they had been hunted and roosters shot out, but we probably saw 10 hens to 1 rooster (which may be common?). We hunted with two labs and they figured it out after a few hours.

Of one and a half days of hunting we were covered on birds. Most of the action took place on the CRP areas of one of the farms. A lot of lessons learned, a lot of mistakes made - but we had a great time.

The biologist for these counties was very helpful! He was full of knowledge on the WMA's and county public lands in the area.

All in all, a great trip. Sage, we were rushed most of the time but will take you up on that beer come next season!

Thanks for your advice guys.

hey bull glad u had a great time.. with iowa pheasants u learn alot.. but by next season only half of it will work lol ... back to the 10 hens and 1 rooster.. sometimesw u will see that then the next day u will see 10 roosters and 1 hen .. i have been seen alot of that these past weeks.. .. well maybe next year we can have that beer :cheers:

Back