First Time from Wisconsin

Fishnick

Hello,

I know that this probably gets discussed a lot. My friend and I are looking to take a trip with our 2 finished GSP's this year. We are thinking South Dakota, but would consider other areas. We most likely will pull a 5th wheel out. We would like to atleast have some shooting so we are considering an outfitter or possibly pay for hunting permission. Looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks,
Nick

Your better off going to a game farm in Wisconsin than going to an Outfitter in SD. Pay to hunt will run you $150-$200 per gun, per day for private land.

I've been guiding for years as a hobby in my spare time - mainly fishing, turkey, and deer, but am starting to do some for pheasants and waterfowl too. I don't charge much compared to the outfitters - just have a passion for seeing good people enjoy the outdoors and have some success, especially when they need a little help due to disability, age, youth, inexperience, etc. If you're interested in western MN and wild birds, let me know. I may be able to help you out.

Hello,

I know that this probably gets discussed a lot. My friend and I are looking to take a trip with our 2 finished GSP's this year. We are thinking South Dakota, but would consider other areas. We most likely will pull a 5th wheel out. We would like to atleast have some shooting so we are considering an outfitter or possibly pay for hunting permission. Looking for advice and recommendations.

Thanks,
Nick

Do you have a budget for this venture? And what time of the season do you have in mind? Both can/will impact your selection and available resources.

If you are interested in "pay for hunting" there are several advertised on this site. Or, you can Google "SD pheasant hunting" and find lots of Lodges, Farms et al.

You can select a city in SD and contact the Chamber of Commerce; often they have a list of hunting sites, even phone numbers of private farms. Lots of research is usually required, but it will pay off for you in the long run.

Consider reviewing the SD brood survey for 2017. That may influence what part of the state may have good hunting.

PS: Look at the SD Craig's List - several listings there...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I found a group that goes to Aberdeen area every year in early December that I plan to join up with. They are public land hunters. Not much cost going with them. I might see how it goes and the maybe try something different next year. I could see paying a $100 a day for a few days. I never thought about looking at craigslist. I already do the game farms and public land/sportsman club stuff here.

Would consider a W Minnesota hunt at some point.

Last edited:
South Dakota is a good bet although posts on this forum have mentioned some drought-stricken areas. Other than public access land, SD is pretty much a pay to hunt state.

It sounds like this will be the worst year ever for pheasant hunting in South Dakota, but its still the best place in the world to hunt pheasants. Most of the state is bone dry, Winner area is dry, but not at bad as the rest of the state.

I had a report from a friend over the weekend; Winner area is way down from last year. They are hunting elsewhere. Guess we'll have to wait for the reports to arrive, after the opener.

The whole state is down. I drove through the entire state earlier this summer. North of Chamberlin was bone dry.

Good to know. I guess any kind of hunting is better than no hunting. Maybe spend a few more dollars next year. Not sure what will be worth while this year.

Fishnick - I’d recommend still going this year, because you just never know when your time is up.

I’m making 2 trips to SD this year and I might buy a second license and make a 3rd and 4th trip. My dog, and one of the guys in our group were suspoused to have already died by now from cancer, but both are doing pretty good. Brood count surveys don’t mean s**t to us.

Back