Fiocchi Golden Pheasant

sgagnard

Does anyone know where I can order some of this online or get some here in Colorado? I'm looking for #5 2 3/4. I was reading about B&P ammo but there site says they only have 4 and 8 shot currently. Also looking for opinions on both.

Thanks in advance
Scott

I second Roger's!...it's where I buy mine always and I shoot 5s too

Fiocchi are good shells, however I have also shot Kent fast lead #5's 2 3/4 and they are pretty good too. Just depends on $$$ you want to spend.

I shot 3inch one year and I won't do that again:eek:

They weren't really worth the $$$, the 2 3/4 were just as good.

Good luck!!

Greg

Thanks all, called Cabelas and they were all out. So were most places locally and online except Rogers. I have found some of the Kent's locally, so I'll give them a try. If I miss with them:eek:, then I'll blame it on the shells and will order the Focchi's:rolleyes:

Again thanks to all that replies for your time. :10sign:

Scott

I don't know your location but I have purchased them at Gander Mountain. Fiocchi 5's brought down the only rooster I saw yesterday out east, in fact the only pheasant I saw. Too warm and too much cover, need some weather and snow!:cheers:

Is it the shell or the shooter :rolleyes::D;)

The shells do help....what I look for is the dram and ounce of shot, along with the FPS.....

Greg

Kent Fast Lead are great as well...IMHO!:thumbsup:

Call Home

I live in the Springs...soon to be home to the next Colorado Bass Pro Shop (too bad they don't carry Fiocchi" :().

If you are interested in the B&P shells I would call Kari at Aerostar Outdoor 1-866-251-4245. The had the MB Long Range shells in stock in 2 3/4 #5 a week ago. I just ordered from her and they have really fast shipping. If you order a case you can get them for $14.00 ($140 shipped).

New Bass Pro opens on Nov 21.

I have to agree with you, I bought a few boxes of the Golden Pheasant 3 inch mag numbers 5's thinking more power the better. I have noticed that the 3" mags do no better then the 2 3/4 inch shells when comparing apples to apples in the amount of shot and shot size used. I almost think he 2 3/4 work better as they have less recoil and I can get a follow up much quicker.

I to have had really good luck with Kent fast lead and that is pretty much my go to load now.

Fiocchi are good shells, however I have also shot Kent fast lead #5's 2 3/4 and they are pretty good too. Just depends on $$$ you want to spend.

I shot 3inch one year and I won't do that again:eek:

They weren't really worth the $$$, the 2 3/4 were just as good.

Good luck!!

Greg

shot shell

I have to agree with you, I bought a few boxes of the Golden Pheasant 3 inch mag numbers 5's thinking more power the better. I have noticed that the 3" mags do no better then the 2 3/4 inch shells when comparing apples to apples in the amount of shot and shot size used. I almost think he 2 3/4 work better as they have less recoil and I can get a follow up much quicker.

I to have had really good luck with Kent fast lead and that is pretty much my go to load now.

most studies say the 3" shells for the most part get you just a higher price and performance is nearly the same, one of the reasons, esp. for the 20 ga. is that there is only so much stuff that the barrel can handle without crushing the pellets which causes even more flyers. mfg. love em' though. for a reminder, the average duck or pheasant is hit with 6 pellets, mag. shells and or the 3" shells have about 20% more shot, therefore wizbangs, 20 % more of 6 is about 1. don't tell me it's that one extra pellet that is knocking them dead, i was born at night but it wasn't last night. as far as the fiocchi shells go, they are first class, nickel shot and a decent speed of around 1300, good energy, wonderful patterns and they are more than price competitive, in fact, cheaper than most. when shooting pheasants don't get caught up in trying to find the best shell, buy some cheap stuff and learn to shoot. you'll come out ahead

cheers

most studies say the 3" shells for the most part get you just a higher price and performance is nearly the same, one of the reasons, esp. for the 20 ga. is that there is only so much stuff that the barrel can handle without crushing the pellets which causes even more flyers. mfg. love em' though. for a reminder, the average duck or pheasant is hit with 6 pellets, mag. shells and or the 3" shells have about 20% more shot, therefore wizbangs, 20 % more of 6 is about 1. don't tell me it's that one extra pellet that is knocking them dead, i was born at night but it wasn't last night. as far as the fiocchi shells go, they are first class, nickel shot and a decent speed of around 1300, good energy, wonderful patterns and they are more than price competitive, in fact, cheaper than most. when shooting pheasants don't get caught up in trying to find the best shell, buy some cheap stuff and learn to shoot. you'll come out ahead

cheers

pheasants are damn hard to kill, stone cold dead...Fiocchi's will do that.

non dead pheasants

pheasants are damn hard to kill, stone cold dead...Fiocchi's will do that.

actually i roll my own, mostly due to the ga. i shoot but if i didn't. fiocchi's would be the choice. about 40 % of the pheasants that get hit and come down, come down non dead and about 1/2 of those come down running. one other thing, those that are shot at 35 yards or less are mostly recovered (by dogs) those that are shot at 45 yards or so, the losses are really high, in part due to the time it take a dog to get there and in part, the pellets are losing energy and patterns are speading. one more thing, 4's ain't the way to go, go for density and in shot shells, the energy from a pellet is cumulative, don't chance that one or two pellets doing the job, and if you are shooting the birds at proper range, you won't blow up the bird, that's a myth.

cheers

I have really like having as many pellets as possible heading towards the bird.
Quick break down of number of pellets by size per once of shot

Shot Size #of pellets
8 585
71/2 410
6 225
5 170
4 135

Kinda gives you a idea of just how many pellets you are launching at them. Of course there are other factors such as choke used and distance to bird. I would not use 8's on pheasant and I know some say they have used 71/2 but I feel they are a bit lacking in knock down power All 3 birds I got this year where shot with #6 and they went down hard at ranges of 35 to 40 yards improved cylinder choke

Back