Filson Blaze Cap w/ear flaps

Rogue Hunter

I'm giving the Filson blaze cap w/ear flaps serious consideration, but would like to hear opinions on this cap from fellow pheasant hunters, good or bad. I realize the size/fit is a big consideration because of the ear flaps. The discription says there is an elastic band in the cap...how is that working for you? I'm just a tad larger than a Med. I may order two a Med & Lg and return one. Are the wool ear flips real itchy/bothersome? All comments appreciated...well, most will be, anyway!

I have one and really only wear it when temps are at or below freezing. I tried wearing it with the ear flaps tucked up on a brisk 36ish degree morning and it was almost too hot. When the ear flaps are down I don't have a problem with the wool being overly itchy/scratchy, but it's something I generally expect when it comes to wool. Sounds like you may not have the ability to try them on in person and do agree with ordering both sizes if you are not sure which to go with. They are hand made and there are slight variations even when it's the same size. I'm near a Filson store so I purchased mine in person and tried multiple ones of the same size and they all fit slightly different.

You get ridiculed for discussing a hat on a forum.

Last edited:
So, do you feel the same about $200 vests or $350 boots. What about guns: $500 pump, $1000 auto, $1500+ sxs? And, I'm not even going to bring up shotshells...oops, just did.

Back