Familys First Bird Dog

waldo9190

Hi all,

First post here. Been lurking for some time.

Grew up in Northern MN chasing grouse, and have almost always had either GSP or GWP in our family. Now that I have an environment conducive to owning our first bird dog, I've got the blessing from the "admiral".

We have a daughter who just turned 3, and will be welcoming another daughter any day now, so having a dog that is great with a family is a must. We have a 500 acre family farm within 20 minutes so training/exercise won't be an issue. Most of the hunting will be grouse/early season duck with 2-3 trips each year to southern MN/SD for pheasant. Given our experience with GSP, that is the way I'm leaning but also considering a Small Munster. Would definitely like to have something on the smaller <60 lb. size range. Pretty set on a pointer because that is what we're familiar with, but not 100% set. Any other recommendations?

Thanks all, and thanks for all that I've gleaned from this forum so far!

Not a pointer person, but my BIG golden boys are in the low 50's and I haven't weighed my youngest female lately, but I would be surprised if she hit 45, probably 42. These are field Goldens, not the big boned fluffy show dogs. Good luck, the pointer vs. flusher/retriever argument will never be solved. Both have their good points and it is what you are comfortable with.

Welcome to the site. Tons of options out there for choices. Good luck in your search.

Hey Waldo,

If you couldn't tell from my avatar pic and name here, I'm a Small Munsterlander Guy. Both of mine (females) are around 40 pounds. A little less in the heart of hunting season, a little more in the off season. My cousin also has a Small Munsterlander and his is a little thicker, but still less than 50 pounds.

I don't have kids, but I can assure you that a Munster would be an awesome family dog. Both of mine are great with kids. Both kids they know in my family and random kids that want to pet them at the park. If you've done research on Munsterlanders, you've probably heard the line about how they can go from laying on the couch one minute and then turn into a hunting machine the next minute. From my experience, this is 100% true. Earlier today both of mine were sleeping on the couch while I worked, I finished working, put my boots on to go outside with them and there they go tearing around. Back inside and they're crashed out on the couch again.

Super laid back dogs and I recommend them to anyone. If you want any info on the breed from someone who owns a couple feel free to PM me.

Love it. Your story reminds me of my journey. You are getting a little head start on me. It took me 21 years of marriage to convince my family to go with a hunting dog. Very little hunting took place for me during those years. We started with one Vizsla and add a second to the stable 3 years later. My wife and 22 year old daughter completed Hunter's Safety a year and half ago and both shot their first pheasant this past season. What a change of events for me. Good luck with the selection process and will be waiting to see those puppy pictures.

It is quite a decision. You have been around GSPs, they are a tornado until they get to 7 or eight years old, then they lay around some, like any other dog. It sounds like after 10 years the GSP will just like the SM. I am about 60 and when I have to get a new one, I am not entirely sure I can keep up with a good GSP, might have to throttle back with something different.

With 500 acres, I hope you have a bunch of waterways or other cover....must still be in MN, so maybe marshes with cattails it the preferred habitat. I hope the family member who owns or farms the ground is ready to retire...talk them into placing it into the CRP program if there is something it qualifies for...then you will have a gold mine!!!

Thanks for the initial feedback guys! As you alluded to remy, knowing how much of a whirlwind some of the young GSPs can be is part of the reason why I'm at least considering other breeds, even though I know full well how dang good they are in the field and in the home....but part of that is me possibly just wanting to see what else is out there, which lead me down the SM path. My wife didn't grow up with dogs, so having one that mellows out sooner would definitely be a big plus, which is obviously not entirely on the breed itself, but something to consider. I am also considering a Brittany, as some of my buddies grew up with them. I've started digging into breeders, and holy cow are there a lot of rabbit holes one can go down...I am/was quite overwhelmed, so if anyone has any breeders they recommend (for any of the mentioned breeds) in the upper midwest I'm all ears. Also, for those of you who have more experience dealing with breed bloodlines and such, is there usually a very big difference between say....an $800 puppy vs. a $1600 puppy? All of the GSPs my family had in the past came from fairly local word of mouth type situations, so this is my first time delving into reputable breeders.

Whatever you do, do not consider a german wire-haired pointer! Not ever, never.

They will get into your heart, then your head, then your good judgement and you'll find yourself writing stories about them.

Which ever breed you decide upon, have a great time. Puppies make life more vivid.

The cost of the puppy is a very small part of the cost of the dog. A good breeder has done all the clearances on both the dam and sire. Hips,eyes,elbows, heart , and the various genetic tests that are necessary for the breed you pick. Usually both parents have been trialed some. None of that comes cheap so in a way you get what you pay for. Not to say there haven't been some great backyard dogs produced but your chances of a good healthy dog go up with the price.

What Alaskan said ^ I can't speak on how other breeds manage themselves, but Small Munsterlanders that are bred through the club have a fair amount of restrictions on them. Such as the hips must be x-rayed and certified to be within a specific variant. They also check that a particular pairing doesn't have any competing faults among them that may become more prevalent in the offspring. SMs also cannot breed unless they have ran at least the Natural Ability NAVHDA test, so you know they at least have some level of hunting ability.

And then there's the aspect of bloodlines of course. Alot of SM breeders import blood from Europe which helps diversify the gene pool.

As far as breeders go for SM, since you're in MN you could start with Lakewood Kennels up in Fergus Falls, there's also Rainy Lake Kennels (they don't have a website but his contact info can be found on the Small Munsterlander Club website). Both of my dogs came out of those kennels. There are also some great breeders in Nebraska as well, I just don't have any experience with them but they have good bloodlines.

Yep, what Munster927 said. Each breed has their own genetic issues. A good breeder tries to minimize them and make the breed overall better. Look for a good breeder inn whichever breed you decide on. Don't buy on price.

That is great info guys, and pretty much the answer I expected. Being that something like this is a significant investment and adding someone to the family, I have no trouble spending the money if it is justified.

Yeah I think it's worth the investment. I mean no doubt you can get an amazing hunting dog and family member by word of mouth type breeding and not a big breeder. It just takes a little more investigation on your part to make sure everything checks out with the pairing.

With a bigger breeder you can get yourself into better bloodlines typically as well so you're paying for all that time and money they've spent. It's almost like a race horse, not saying some random horse you find can't win the kentucky derby, but you're sure gona pay the money to get a horse that came from one that already has haha

Our family settled on a Brittany for several reasons. Mild temper, friendly/pleasing behavior, size and natural hunting ability. We have a 9 month old that is a bit spunky, but is friendly and loves being around people.

@waldo9190
Find a breeder close to you that is willing to work with you and/ or provide guidance on your first bird dog.
Go see their breed and interact with their adult dogs to see how their behavior and temperament are to be around. Best to do your own homework in person.
BTW- I have a 5 yr old GSP who has never been a “tornado”. Runs big in the field, holds steady, turns it “off” in the house, a real pleasurable, well-mannered hunting and family dog.
SM was also on my original short list.

Our family settled on a Brittany for several reasons. Mild temper, friendly/pleasing behavior, size and natural hunting ability. We have a 9 month old that is a bit spunky, but is friendly and loves being around people.
Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the pup over the next year. It will be fun watching your baby and pup begin to bond.

Hi all,

First post here. Been lurking for some time.

Grew up in Northern MN chasing grouse, and have almost always had either GSP or GWP in our family. Now that I have an environment conducive to owning our first bird dog, I've got the blessing from the "admiral".

We have a daughter who just turned 3, and will be welcoming another daughter any day now, so having a dog that is great with a family is a must. We have a 500 acre family farm within 20 minutes so training/exercise won't be an issue. Most of the hunting will be grouse/early season duck with 2-3 trips each year to southern MN/SD for pheasant. Given our experience with GSP, that is the way I'm leaning but also considering a Small Munster. Would definitely like to have something on the smaller <60 lb. size range. Pretty set on a pointer because that is what we're familiar with, but not 100% set. Any other recommendations?

Thanks all, and thanks for all that I've gleaned from this forum so far!
Has anyone recommend a boykin spaniel?

Back