Ever hunted Montana walk in property?

wolf

Hi. I'm new to this board.
I saw a show on TV where guys were hunting sharptails on public/walk in areas in Montana. Has anyone here ever done this in Montana? I've done this in walk in properties in Kansas and was very disappointed in the lack of habitat that was on these areas. I'd love to make a trip to Montana but I wouldnt even think about it unless I knew there was good habitat in these areas to hunt. Anybody with experience up there???? Thanks.

I hunted BMA (walk In) at the Montana "High Line" for Sharptail & Huns for 3 weeks this last September & I thought the program was very good for those birds. Some friends stayed in Montana for the pheasant opener & were not impressed with the bird #s or the habitat but it may have just been the area they were in. reports show that some areas cam be quite good but you need to do your homework before you go.

Most all of Montana's public lands are walk in only. Wheel travel is on established roads. Some private lands are open to walk in only. Block Management is a good program and opens a lot of land to the public, most have rules on wheeled travel. Some have good bird country and lots of it is overhunted and bird habitat is very poor.
But, if you do the work, find good habitat, willing to walk and walk get off the road a ways some good bird hunting out there.

Back