Emergency Haying in SD

Sorry hit the send button early...
Storing the hay is also a challenge. I like to spread it around, in different fields? storage areas. that way if a fire starts, you don't lose it all.
What looks like rotting bales , might be natural weathering. I do have some junk bales, full of weeds, poor quality. They tend to stick around, but will eventually end up as bedding, mixed with manure and spread back on fields. We don't spend time and money just to bale hay for fun.

Most cattleman in my area like to have 2-3 years' worth of hay on hand to cover the inevitable drought, which also may last 2-3 years. Also, storing the hay
What you think is hay rotting in the field, is money in the bank for me.
I get it but when you're baling crp and ground paid for walk in that's our money in your bank.

I am not a big fan of CRP, to me it rewards some producers for bad management, ie breaking up ground that should never have been, to plant more corn when the price is high. When it fails or blows away, they enroll it in CRP.
That being said, you cannot just put a piece of ground into grass and leave it for the length of the contract (10-15 years). of weeds About 5-7 years in, the grass will be matted, choking out new growth, full of canada thistle. About 12 years, it is junk, no value to anything except grass hoppers. That is the reason for mid-term haying or grazing.
The walk-in program (as is) allows access to the property, not outstanding cover and hunting. You probably would have far fewer acres enrolled if not being able to manage your land was part of the deal. That program and criteria for enrolling, is with GF&P. Talk to them if you want it changed

The gov't crp program is way more complicated than I thought a few years ago. I love learning about it any chance I can! One landowner I know has to burn his crp every three years according to contract. Another land owner only has to mow it (not sure how often if it's annual or what). Anyways, the burned ground looks way better as far as pheasant cover. These spots are both in the MN traditional pheasant area.

Back