Election day roosters

TimJ

After voting on Tuesday I had enough time to get out to a local GPA to see if I could get Deuce on a bird or two...and to be honest I felt like at a minimum making some noise.
Deuce has been fighting a little limp so after a couple days off I figured he needed some action.

Not too far in he pointed a hen. Then he entered the tall grass and became motionless again.
It's a little hard to see him because it was shoulder high bluestem, switchgrass and who knows what else but he is there taking in the scent.

point.jpg_zpsxnx4scsr.jpg

That led to this view

shot1.jpg_zps7a0hihvx.jpg

Which in turn produced this.

rooster1118_zpsx5hreay8.jpg

A little after that Deuce tracked one a short ways that tried to get behind us but it had to take to the air when he cut it off.
That produced this retrieve.

deuce118jpg_zpsxfxm12tx.jpg

Another tracking job, but this time well over 100 yards, produced this big beautiful mature rooster at the end. I weigh a lot of the birds I shoot and this was the first true 3 1/2 pounder of the season. They are rare. Most roosters are from 2 1/2 to 3.

rooster118_zpsfcade2sh.jpg

I wish they had all been over points but the were all well worked by Deuce and I did my job. This is the first time with Deuce that I have taken 3 birds with 3 shots over him.
He was a happy pup and we only used about 30 minutes of the hour we had at the end of the day.

4475e1a0-c3eb-46e6-95ad-7015db6ca699_zpswobdtox9.jpg

Tim

Back