Ear protection while bird hunting

Do you wear hearing protection in the field?

• Yes

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
The wind noise with my set is not bad until about 15 mph.
Which means wind noise would be bad almost every day in Kansas.

I'll wear ear plugs when dove hunting and duck hunting (which I don't do all that often). I'll have them with me and put them in if possible before shooting a deer. I've tried wearing one in my left ear while bird hunting, but the habit didn't stick. While it isn't much, I think the various things I wear to keep my ears warm provide at least some protection.

I have significant high frequency loss in both ears and some tinnitus in both ears. Both symptoms developed first in my left ear and are worse in that ear. I go to an ear doctor every couple of years for a hearing check and my hearing tests pretty stable. The tinnitus seems to be getting a little worse though. When I first started going Doc did not recommend hearing aids. With a family history of hearing loss and the accumulated effects of gunfire, chain saws, and (in my youth) loud music hearing aids are probably in my future.

I went to get my hearing checked last year. After the test, the gal said “you’re left handed and you’re a hunter aren’t you?” I asked her how she knew and she said my right ear was worse than my left and the hearing loss was typical of male my age who shoots guns.

Exactly what I was asked too after my audiology test in 2021. Except I'm the reverse with the left/right thing.

What a group we are here. Many with hearing loss or are already deaf as a hammer and have ringing/buzzing continously too. Gunfire, loud equipment as a youth along with loud music...same old story. I don't wear protection while hunting but always do when casual shooting. Prairie dawgs are casual shooting, not hunting.

Prairie dawgs are casual shooting, not hunting.
Yes, but I am suppressed so I don't hurt their ears. ;)

I shoot 20-ga 1-oz loads at 1,200 or so. Been doing that for many years and it has not seemed to hurt my hearing yet. I want to be able to hear where the flush is coming from, etc. I have electronics for clay shooting but determining direction with them is not at all good.

I broke down 2 years ago and bought a pair of Soundgear Phantoms; very expensive but have been worth it. I can hear the locations of flushes just fine. When someone is talking to me 15-30 feet away I have a hard time hearing them but if they’re further than that I can again for some reason. I don’t notice the wind all that bad, you get used to it. Kind of strange hearing yourself talk though.

They’re custom made and fit perfectly in my ear. They’re rechargeable, I can hunt all day with them and have no problems or discomfort. I was getting ringing in my left ear after I shoot and I’m only in my mid 30s so I bucked up and paid the price. Hope is to get down to 0 unprotected gunshots from here on out.

Back