dove opener plans

How many of you are planning to go dove hunting in a couple of months? Where are you going and what type of field or habitat do you prefer to hunt dove in?

I'm heading to the same area that I pheasant hunt. It gives me an opportunity to see what I might expect for the season's population. I really like to hunt freshly cut milo fields, but they usually aren't cut during the early season (oftentimes they aren't even cut by the pheasant opener). Here is a gold nugget for those of you looking for a good dove hunt.......head to a place like west KS and find some trees. There aren't but 100 in the entire western half of the state, so birds pile into them at night. Hunting a roost or near a pond (maybe 50 of those out there in the Great American desert). You can secure a great hunt that will heat up your gun barrel quickly. The shooting is fast paced and you'll be able to hear the roosters crowing as they're heading to their roost. Not to mention the number of Mule deer I usually see while I'm there. It is a good time to meet farmers and gain access. In total, it is a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
I wil be hunting, starting Sept 2. Hunting some friends fields and the company I work for has a clay quarry with 4 tanks and the dove are usually plentiful. Good luck.

N.D.

Dove

I will hunt the kansas opener on Sept. 1 in Sheridan County by a windmill in a buffalo grass pasture. Lot's of fun.

SD Dove Hunt

I will be hunting the second week in September. I have several locations, but I am really looking forward to a small water hole next to a wheat stubble field and tree strip.

Back