dove opener...didn't see any roosters.

I can't seem to post any pictures to this forum anymore, but I do have some good news to share anyhow.

We experienced a great day of dove hunting this morning in NC KS, between Salina and Concordia. I took my 6 year old son and one of my friends who had never been dove hunting. by 10:30 he had harvested his limit, 3 birds ahead of me. I wasn't too worried about it though, I had plenty of fun getting the stuck 4-wheeler out of the only mud hole on the property after the boy got it stuck. The dove numbers were great in the area I was hunting.

The bad news is that I didn't hear or see ANY pheasants, though there are usually some birds in the area. We even spent Sunday night driving around some of the better spots in the area. I know from experience that I should've seen at least a few birds on the roads or even some feathers in the grass, but there simply aren't any pheasants there this year. I now know of 2 parts of the state I will NOT be driving to for the opener. Hope somebody else has some better information to share. For you quail fans out there, I did see one covey of quail on our pre-hunt drive, but we covered a lot of miles of backroads to see those.

no pheasant's seen here

Hey sounds like the dove hunt went well,Wish i could say the same. This was my first year hunting dove. We got three but should of had at least 4 more, very disapionted with my shooting. I myself did not see any pheasant but did see about 9 quail. I was hunting up in Jackson co. which does not have the best pheasant numbers but have been really suprised with all the quail i have seen up in that area this year.

Hey sounds like the dove hunt went well,Wish i could say the same. This was my first year hunting dove. We got three but should of had at least 4 more, very disapionted with my shooting. I myself did not see any pheasant but did see about 9 quail. I was hunting up in Jackson co. which does not have the best pheasant numbers but have been really suprised with all the quail i have seen up in that area this year.

I never said how many shots it took to get my limit of doves:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dove Opener

Sounds like a great day of hunting except for getting stuck. Out in Sheridan County we could not have heard any pheasants yesterday evening because of the wind. The wind also made hitting a dove coming in with the wind very challenging. The easy shots on the birds coming in into the wind made up for it.

Sounds like a great day of hunting except for getting stuck. Out in Sheridan County we could not have heard any pheasants yesterday evening because of the wind. The wind also made hitting a dove coming in with the wind very challenging. The easy shots on the birds coming in into the wind made up for it.

We got most of ours as they were flying into the wind as well. Did you see any pheasants while you were driving around out there?

Back