Dove hunt NC KS

Headed out to NC KS on Saturday. We arrived about an hour before the sun went down and found our sunflower field that we planned to hunt the next day. There were plenty of birds there so we headed to a roost spot to try to get a couple before the sun went down. The highlight of the weekend came in this short evening hunt. The first bird I shot was only wounded. It finally came down after flying across the road and landing in the neighbor's pasture. My 2 boys (4 & 7) crawled under the fence in hot pursuit, the older one w/ his BB gun. They found the bird and attempted to dispatch it with the BB gun, but that didn't work so well. They called my Griffon over to help with the retrieval. They were ELATED when the dog found the bird, finished it off, and dropped it at their feet:thumbsup::cheers::);):cool: They connected with the dog and I knew right then that this was a very important moment in our lives. I ended up shooting 2 more that evening before the sun went down.

Woke up the next morning and hunted on the railroad tracks between a wheat field and a sunflower field. The fields were both flooded so we stayed on the tracks and on the road (yes, we had permission to hunt both sides). We lost too many birds, more than I care to admit, but we ended up with 74 on the day......1 shy of our 5 person (3 adults and 2 kids w/ guns) limit. We had as many as 7 kids out there with us during the chaos and they all loved it! What a great day.........

Here are some pics......probably more than is needed to back-up the story, but I have them so I'm sharing them. I'd like to improve the quality of the pic of me w/ my dog and kids on the tracks. I guess I'll have to learn how to use photo editor after all.

Last edited:
I took my 6 year old daughter out last night. She went along as an observer and had a great time. I was just glad to kill a few birds to keep her interested. I wonder how many doves have seen a little girl sing and dance around a windmill.;)

My five year old son and I bagged our 15 doves in around 40 minutes Saturday afternoon. There was constant bird action so there was never a dull moment. My son was busy collecting shotgun hulls, spotting incoming flocks of doves and enjoying his new soft air shotgun. Sure the box says it is recommended for 16+ but we were careful. I couldn't find a dove in my neighborhood the past week and almost passed on hunting. But, the honeyhole was loaded with birds. I have never seen so many doves during the mid afternoon as was the case Saturday and NO mosquitos to fight off either. Shucks, we had a great time.

Awesome Bilbo, it looks like you have a great start to a hunting partner. My son who will be 3 in a month begs to go with me no matter where I'm headed, golf, hunting, work, fishing even poker tournaments. We have had some great adventures already and I can't wait for the upcoming adventures.

That is great Bilbo! I'm glad to hear he got to carry his firearm as well. The warnings on the box are only there for liability purposes. They wouldn't say 16+ if more adults were responsible and intelligent enough to take the necessary precautions to prevent an accident. I'd prefer my son make a mistake with his BB gun or airsoft pellet gun than make a mistake w/ his 4-10 when he's ready to use it in the field. Taking the small guns along is a good way to teach them about using their safety and muzzle control.

Back