Dog Tracking Collars

Lucky#4

Hello all. I was wondering if somebody could give me a little insight on dog tracking collars.I'm in the process of planning my first pheasant hunt in SD and I want to make sure I dont loose my buddy.I've been looking at a couple different models and the one that looks best to me is the Garmin 220 DC30.
Does any body have experience with this model or know about one thats beter? I'de like to keep the price around $500.00 if at all posible.

Thank You.

Hello all. I was wondering if somebody could give me a little insight on dog tracking collars.I'm in the process of planning my first pheasant hunt in SD and I want to make sure I dont loose my buddy.I've been looking at a couple different models and the one that looks best to me is the Garmin 220 DC30.
Does any body have experience with this model or know about one thats beter? I'de like to keep the price around $500.00 if at all posible.

Thank You.

The Garmin s are very handy and reliable . good product.:10sign:

We use that model in texas when we are down there quail hunting. Very nice product, comes in handy in big country! I think you would be pleased.

Not to highjack the thread but why would you need a tracking collar?

Well hopefully just for piece of mind.I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My 2 year old GSP "Durden" is just starting his training and while he is pretty good in the field i'm still a little worried about taking him to SD next month. I bought him about 7 months ago from a breeder who really didn't do any with this dog.And that is why he is just starting training.On the bright side, Durden is extremely smart and learing fast.I just dont want to loose him chasing a bird or somthing.I may be over thinking it but i've never been to SD and am not familiar with the area or what to expect.Not to mention this is my first dog.

Thanks.

I guess I could see a use for it if the dog it lost. My theory is if I can't see/hear my dogs and they don't come when called I will probably hear'em yelp when I light up the electronic collar.

Yea,i'm considering going that route aswell.The trainer i'm working with is using the e-collar.It's just me being new to the hunting dog world I probably over think every thing.I suppose i'll know more about what i'm doing over the next 4 weeks as th dog training progresses.Not that he'll be finished but thats when i'm heading to SD.

I just got one this year, and have only used it once in SD, but i love it and am fixing to buy more collars for it. I have 2 GSPs and an English Setter and it is hard to see them in the CRP. The garmin gives me an idea of where they are and if they are running or on point. There were numerous occasions where my dogs were on point and without the astro I would have had to beep them which 9 times out of ten scares the pheasant, but with the astro i was able to find and flush the bird. I also dont want to shock any of my dogs if I cant see them. They could be on birds and shocking them would not be good in that situation. And like you mentioned, it also helps you worry less about losing a dog in thick, tall cover. So in my opinion, i think they are an awesome tool and am very happy with my purchase.

I guess I could see a use for it if the dog it lost. My theory is if I can't see/hear my dogs and they don't come when called I will probably hear'em yelp when I light up the electronic collar.

Just me but wouldnt lite the dog up with e collar if i could not see. Just in case he is on point. that would only cause bigger problems.

Just me but wouldnt lite the dog up with e collar if i could not see. Just in case he is on point. that would only cause bigger problems.

The key phrase is don't come when called. There labs so they do not really point (of course I realize that all labs point these days.) Even if it was a pointer my thought is when I call it's name it better come a runnin no matter what it is doing.

i agree with oggie. if i cant see my dog, i wont shock him. im no expert, but i have learned that dogs learn by association. for instance a reward for doing what they are told to do, or a consequence for doing something that they knew was wrong. That is the reason i wont shock my dog when i cant see him. There is a possibility he could be pointing a bird and my dogs wont move if they have a bird pinned so if i shock him at that time he may associate the shock with the bird and therefore think birds are bad just like the deer he gets shocked for chasing. If i can see my dog and i tell him to come, and he doesnt, then he will get some electricity. But the garmin helps me locate him to see if he is on point or just ignoring me.

Hello

Simply put, you will never lose another dog again! Whether you're tired of spending countless hours looking for your dogs or have actually lost one of your beloved friends, our dog tracking systems will ensure that you don't suffer any longer. Perfect for any type of hunting, these systems will let you know where your dog is at all times. If your a coon, bird or hog hunter, purchase a dog tracking collar today and rest easy knowing you can easily find your best dogs, every time!

Thanks
Have a nice time

Back