Dog swallows doves?

moellermd

Super Moderator
My lab will swallow doves whole about 1/3 of the time when he retrieves them out of water. On land never a problem not a tooth mark in them. Shoot a rooster in water not an issue. Just doves in the water. Any suggestions?

Get a smaller dog??:D

I don't have any real advice but I did get a kick out of your post. I've heard of dogs doing this with quail and dove, but I've never seen it. Very funny hearing about it, but probably not as funny when it's your bird getting swallowed.

just be thankfull thats all he eats i have one who has eaten a spent shotgun shell an oil plug out of a 1999 dodge and multiple other things and he still lives i guess he has a cast iron stomach becouse it never bothers him when he gets anything although the shotgun shell did make him yelp when he passed it

You guys crack me up!!! Had my buddies lab cough one up in front of the Game Warden!!! That made us one over the limit!!! Gave the dog a break!!!!! My buddy use to give his dog the heads of doves so he wouldn't swallow them whole, but I thought it contributed to the problem!!!

moe,
got a buddy with a lab, that has the same bad habit. must be a lab thing? might be my friend doesnt feed his lab enough???? dont know , but i cant quit given him crap about it. lol:thumbsup:

Hey MD maybe you should design a collar the automatically Salt and Pepper's the bird. :p

My chessie did the same thing on a dove hunt a couple years ago, we just took a dove and made him hold it around the house he hasn't ate a bird since, not saying he would probably do it again he's a chesapeake after all.

You guys are great help. The thing the worries me the most is that he will choke on one.

Back