Dog sneezing a lot

Bob Peters

I noticed after the last hunting trip the dog was having some sneezing fits above and beyond normal. Watching her hunt, with her nose to the ground often, and running through the gambit of bird cover out there, I can't imagine what all gets hoovered up through her snout. I always give her a tailgate check and try and keep a close eye on her. I looked in the nasal cavities but didn't see anything up there. Has anyone run into this before? I'm a little nervous about these deadly awns I read about on here. I noticed a field we hunted a few weeks back in SD might have had some canada wild rye. I'm still working at getting better at identifying all the different grasses out there.

Guessing you are right that "something" was inhaled. Hopefully it isn't anything that will have a longterm affect on her. There are a just so many of those awns out there, you can't avoid them, but it could also just be any little piece of plant debris. Good to check the nasal area to grab it from there if located.

I'm super gunshy about my dog inhaling stuff. But if you think she's still sneezing at ALL more than normal, please have a vet check it out. There's likely something in there. For me, I don't care if it's CWR or a piece of cattail. I want it out of there. Grass awns aren't the only thing that can cause problems.

Back