Dog Hair! I've got it everywhere! - What brush/comb to use

Chestle

My yellow Lab is a shedder. She gets quality food with a spritz of salmon oil on it and a dab of coconut oil as well. Supposedly this helps with the shedding. Can't prove it by my house or car. 🙂

So I have a FURminator deShedding Tool that's part of our daily routine. She takes the old man for a 2+ mile walk everyday and he brings a bag of dummies and does some drills along the way. When we get back, the FURminator comes out for some brushing and then a couple more dummy tosses so (hopefully) she comes to think of the Furminator as a positive thing. She doesn't fight the brushing but she's not all enthused about it either. Hmmm....maybe I should Furminator before the walk.

I also have the Shedding Blade hoop type sawtooth thingy. It's handy for a quick brush down and also for removing "hitchhikers" or "beggar lice" coming out of the field. I use the FURminator more for the loose hair though.

So anyone else with long haired shedding dogs have suggestions for a better deshedding tool? Some kind of solution to the problem?

Welcome to the Lab Club, we have jackets...

The Furminator is about as good as it gets for de-shedding. Quite often my backyard has piles of black & yellow lab hair from de-shed brushing. We find it in all the birds nests in the Spring.

Sometimes we use the vacuum and hose attachment. Some dogs love it, others hate it. Harley loves getting vacuumed, I think he would take up a life of sin if it meant someone would run the vacuum over him every day. Of my other three, one also loves it, one is ambivalent, the other hates it...

Last edited:
The Furminator is about as good as it gets for de-shedding.
I've got one of those too. Its probably the best brush/comb on the market for removing loose hair from a dog.

I've noticed that at certain times of year my dog also sheds like a banshee. Its usually twice a year - once in the spring when the weather is turning warmer, and another in the fall/early winter when the weather is turning colder (like now). The rest of the year, its not nearly as noticeable.

Welcome to the Lab Club, we have jackets...
Yes...got the jacket...it's covered in Lab hair! 🙂

I've got a Shark vac that has a "pet hair" attachment for getting it off the furniture. You can reduce the suction and it has a roller brush in it. She's not too found of that but maybe I better try to get her into accepting it as part of the retrieving fun. Vac then fetch or something. Worth a try. Thanks for reminding me.

Gimruis, yep, it really bad twice a year but it's never really gone away.

For the first 10 months my Golden didnt shed at all. We pretended it would never happen with her. She just turned 11 months and we are back to Golden hair all over our clothes. hahahahaha I just busted out the tape roller yesterday to clean up a fleece jacket.

Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba, 4Health (Tractor Supply's signature food), etc...

The difference between premium food sold in farm supply & feed stores and the cheaper stuff sold in Walmart and grocery stores is the quality level of the ingredients. If you compare, for example, the ingredients of Purina Pro Plan Large Breed sold in farm & feed stores and Purina One sold at Walmart & in grocery stores, they appear identical. They are the same ingredients & percentages but Pro Plan uses higher quality ingredients than One, consequently your dog gets better, easier to digest & utliize nutrition...

First, we use a defurminator on our golden. It helps a lot. Second, and probably more effective is to feed a high quality Salmon based treat a couple times a day. Not a food, a treat. We use PlanoPaws Salmon Chews...for a golden, Penny's shedding is suprisingly minimal and she has an exceptional coat. I attribute it to the salmon chews because we've run out a few times for a couple weeks and started noticing a lot more hair and even a calous spot on her elbow. A couple weeks back on the chews and shedding is reduced and calous spot is gone, back to a soft, shiny coat.

Back