Dog’s feet

There is a video on Gun Dog Supply showing how to put on Lewis Dog Boots. Here's the link:

Thanks

I've only had trouble a few times - when the temp is below zero and sunny and the dog's paw hits the snow, snow melts onto paw, dog lifts up paw, snow instantly freezes and forms an ice crystal in their toes. A few times in south-south central SD I've run into some "sand burs" that my dog does not like at all.

My best advice is to condition their paws ahead of time - running on gravel roads.
The best I can do is railroad tracks and black top roads, we do not have gravel roads around this part of the country. But, we do a lot of walking the dogs and letting them run.

Back in the day I used to run hounds for big game. They would cover some ground and run for hours. I used to use a product called tuf foot. It made a huge difference- I would start applying it to their pads several weeks before season started. Along with conditioning/ running the dogs their pads would get really tough and calluses.

There is a video on Gun Dog Supply showing how to put on Lewis Dog Boots. Here's the link:

Awesome! Thank you

Pre-conditioning is the very best to develop tough feet. It requires them spending lots of time on the ground running, not in the backyard or walks through the neighborhood. When they do get sore feet during the season, epsom salt does wonders. Soaking them for 10 minutes of an evening once they start to show signs and you'll see noticeable relief in your hunting partners foot soreness. I have a 5 lbs bag in my supply box when I head to MO/KS for extended periods.

Would it bother the dog to leave the boots on all day on a day's hunt? I hope it's not a good idea to take them off after every outing in a day. That is of course after the dog gets use to them.

Back