Does reloading pay

moellermd

Super Moderator
I reload a fair amount for my rifles because a shoot a few thousand rounds a year at PDs. For shotgun I do not reload. I shoot a little less than a case of premium pheasant loads a year and a couple cases of dove shells. Does it pay to reload for 3 cases worth of shells?

In the way you state your needs; "No it Don't"! If you were to reload for the 28 gauge yes, it would pay or if you want to shoot a goodly amount of clays. I shoot about 200 a month average. But with cost of all your equipment and then the components, you would be lucky to break even. The only advantage to reloading in your case. Would be you could make some special loads to your liking. But a lot of loads you may want to reload won't match factory loads. The reason is most Powders available to the reloader push the pressures to high. The 20 gauge which I shoot most. I can load 1220 FPS. That is as high as I can go, after that the pressure gets to high to be safe.......Bob

First off, given all the variety of factory loads available, certainly you can find anything you want right off the shelf, and the quality of factory loads is very good. Rifle shooters may, if they're very careful, load better than factory. Shotshells, no way.

Just last week I had a defective Remington shell. A dud which would not fire. It was the first dud I've had in at least 15,000 rounds.

If we're talking about 12 & 20 gauge loads, all the retailers (Wal*Mart, Dick's, Academy) run specials at the beginning of hunting season, and you can buy dove loads at $5, sometimes less than $4. No way you can save money reloading 12 and 20. I filled a grocery cart last Sept at Academy, $3.99/box.

16, 28 and .410 are never cheap, and you might save some money, several dollars per box, on them.

Field loads are never sold really cheap at retail, even in 12 and 20, so you might save several dollars per box on them.

However, in order to do that, you'll need a decent reloader ($150 for a Mec which will reload 6-8 boxes/hour), and you'll need to lay in a supply of a few powders, wads and shot, primers and good empty hulls. I'd think you'll be at least $300-400 out of pocket up front. For the number of shells you'll reload, you'll be buying components in small quantities, and paying top dollar.

Many years ago I simplified my life by owning only 20 ga guns, which will do everything I ever want to do - loads from 7/8 to 1-5/16 oz, right off the shelf.

Many years before that I reloaded tens of thousands of shells, buying components in very large quantities (shared with friends to buy shot by the ton, and powder by the keg), and I saved about $1.50/ box.

No more. My time is worth more to me than $1.50/box, and I no longer have to store the inventory and do the work.

My wife and I now shoot 5-6000 rounds per year, and I love pitching the empty hulls.

My opinion? Reloading sucks.

I have noticed most of the replies are placing a dollar value on their time. I don't I'm retired and need stuff to do to pass the time. So I reload my Trap and Hunting loads. I only shoot a 20 and 28 gauges so I always have something that can use a few more........Bob

I agree. I look at reloading as a way of getting quality ammo exactly the way I want it, and I don't mind the little extra effort to make it.

That's how I look at reloading for rifle. I like to work up loads for velocity and accuracy.

you can also mix the shot with reloading
I found that a 50/50 mix of 4 and 8 works great on pheasant
The 8 fills in the voids of the 4 shot

It is relaxing for me too, but I do not reload shotgun shells and I am glad Moellermd brought it up, because I was wondering the same thing. I now know from reading your comments it wouldn't pay for me. Rifle and pistol do! I reload for a lot of people because I enjoy working up a load for rifles and pistols, don't think I would have the same satisfaction with shotgun. Once I collect the brass the cost is about a 1/3. Great question!!!!!!!!!! Thanx guys!!!!:thumbsup:

I can't see any safety issues with a 50/50 Load. The 8 shot is working like a buffering compound. So 1 1/4 ounce of shot is exactly that. It still shoots the same and your pressures should stay the same. The 8 shot is just helping the the 4 shot hold its' pattern longer for better killing power. I don't think at 35-40 yards, a shooter could expect the 8 shot to have the penetrating power to kill a Pheasant. Think of it as throwing a handful of sand. The light sand falls away first, the heavy pebbled sand goes farther and could hurt if it hits you.........Bob

Back