Does it make sense to hunt after this storm?

4thGenNative

I'm planning to go pheasant hunting this weekend out east of Sterling. I'm wondering if it even makes sense to try after this storm. I've only hunted twice before and both times it was dry with no snow. It doesn't seem like walking through drifts and driving down potentially unplowed roads will equate to a good hunt! Any thoughts?

I have had my best days after a snow storm. Birds hold tight and seem to be grouped up. Just make sure to bring a shovel and other winter driving gear the roads can get dicey.

Cory

The hunting will be good but the roads will be terrible for a few days. I hunted yesterday and I wouldn't go out without a shovel, tow strap or chain and four wheel drive.

I have had my best days after a snow storm. Birds hold tight and seem to be grouped up. Just make sure to bring a shovel and other winter driving gear the roads can get dicey.

Cory

x2 to that. It tends to keep fairweather hunters/weekend warriors in their toasty houses as well. It's often easier work for you and your dog because it's easier to figure out where the birds are holding.

Definitely bring a shovel and 4wd is pretty huge. Be careful out there.

Frangler,

How did you do yesterday?

Only got to hunt for 30 minutes... Hunted some wheat up to a hedgerow and the dogs go on point. Birds started piling out and doubled on the flush. A few minutes later one of my dogs points again and a cripple from opening weekend I presume went running out and she caught it. Bird numbers looked good in the area I was hunting but yesterday was my Colorado opener so I haven't worked that much ground yet.

Here is a clip of the hedgerow flush from yesterday.
uhhWQkv3r58

Hey Frangler, were you out east of Sterling as well? I did some scouting early fall out there and the cover looks decent in the WIA areas I have saved from last year, but haven't gotten out there to double-check in the last couple months. Trying to decide if I want to stop out there or near Sedgwick on my way out to Wisconsin on Friday.

GO HUNT!!!! Sterling didn't get crap from this storm!!! Cousin told me early on Tuesday it was dryer than a popcorn fart!!! South of there may be different.:cheers:

I was south of Sterling but and there was only an inch of snow but they had a lot of rain before the snow started flying so it is very muddy today I'm sure. My boots were wet from sinking thru the snow into big puddles of mud and water. Either way the hunting was good and scenting conditions should be great for the dogs for a little while.

Hey Frangler, were you out east of Sterling as well? I did some scouting early fall out there and the cover looks decent in the WIA areas I have saved from last year, but haven't gotten out there to double-check in the last couple months. Trying to decide if I want to stop out there or near Sedgwick on my way out to Wisconsin on Friday.

I would start by heading east of Sterling and see what you can find. If it's tough Sedgwick county is right on the way to get back on your way to Wisconsin.

I would start by heading east of Sterling and see what you can find. If it's tough Sedgwick county is right on the way to get back on your way to Wisconsin.

Truetrue, that's a good plan. Thanks for the info. I'll report back this weekend. If nothing else the pup will get on some birds back in my old Wisconsin honey holes.

Cheers!

Snow can hurt or help, in my experience. If you have six plus inches of snow on the ground, often the birds won't want to run and will hold like bobwhites for points. If it only snows a couple inches, the birds will sometimes run even harder and fly farther out because they feel more exposed with the white background. Of course, these are generalizations. I've seen birds run like roadrunners in the morning and then start holding like quail in the afternoon with no change in conditions. I went out with my GSP and my lab this morning and on Saturday. I did well both times, but the birds held for points much better on Saturday. There wasn't enough snow where I hunted to make them burrow and hold. My GSP had most of the finds on Saturday. Today, almost all of his points were unproductive. My lab was the star this morning, as she will flush the runners if they won't hold for a point.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I called the town hall in Sterling today and they told me that the storm pretty much missed that area. Definitely sticking to my plan to head that way this weekend!

Got out east of Sterling on Sunday near the town of Fleming. Only saw 1 bird all day, but still had a great time. No snow out there at all.

I'm headed out to PhilCo tomorrow (just back from SD yesterday and have limited stuff going on at work tomorrow, so I'm feeding the pheasant bug :) )

If anyone is around shoot me a PM. I'm bringing the old man (13 now), so I am more or less dog-less after the first 2-3 fields.

An update:

Got out in Logan county the Friday before Thanksgiving - unfortunately I didn't get off work as soon as I'd hoped, and only had about an hour to hunt before sundown. Walked thru a pretty big WIA that I'd never been to before, which had the nicest-looking cover I've seen in my 3 seasons out here. My pup started going absolutely bonkers and lo and behold, not one but TWO groups of 30-40 pheasants (mostly or entirely hens) flushed about 60 yards out in quick succession.

I've had very little success out here in Colorado so far and even though I'm unreasonably optimistic when it comes to hunting and fishing, I had truly started to despair after last season. It's great how one moment can pull you out of that despair and flip it on its head. It filled my wee little heart with such joy that the 17-hour wind-whipped drive to Wisconsin seemed like a jaunt over to my local haunt (almost).

I stayed in a hotel just across the Nebraska border on my way back so I could get out at the crack of dawn Sunday. The same field yielded the same situation, but only 1 group of 30 flushed this time. Again, didn't see any cocks. But that's alright, I'd trade a glimpse into the bright future for the state's pheasant population for a bagged rooster any day. Hunted another 2 hours in nearby WIAs with no luck.

Relocated further to the south and hunted a smaller WIA for about a half hour until I decided to head home. About 80 yds from the truck, my mind was on getting home, getting my crap unpacked and getting my gf to rub my aching back. Started to adjust my belt, lost track of the pup, then !!!!!!!!!!! biiiiig ol' rooster flushed about 20 yds away. Alas, he literally caught me with my pants down. Out of the 4 hours I hunted that day, this was the only moment I let my guard down. Lesson learned.

Changed my mind & decided to keep pushing through the same bit of land. The other rooster was long gone onto private property. 20 minutes later, the pup went on point and THIS TIME I was ready. Rooster must have sensed my itchy trigger finger, because he flushed hard and fast about 30yds out. Shotgun to shoulder, ready to shoot, when A MULEY JUMPED UP IN FRONT OF THE BIRD. Couldn't believe it. Scared the everliving s**t out of me. I actually had to sit down to slow my heart rate. Unfortunately, I had to leave to pick my friend up from the airport, but what a day. What. A. Day.

Back