Distance from Road

gsphunter23

Is there a minimum distance you have to be from a road when hunting small game with a shotgun and bird shot? I am hunting blue grouse up innate mountains.

Oh... I hate this question... here is the wording:

"Hunting with rifles, handguns, shotguns firing a single slug and archery equipment prohibited within 50 feet on each side of the center line of any public road."

So a shotgun with bird shot would not qualify in that. The thing is, I have asked several different DOW officers about this... some say you can fire as long as you are off the road itself (but not across it of course) Others say that the 50 feet rule applies to shotguns with bird shot as well.

I have hunted some ditches without being 50 feet away... especially during dove season. That said... I move further out if I see a truck coming, just in case.

Random thought... here is my favorite "wtf" regulation:
"(It is illegal) For two or more people on the ground, in a vehicle, or vessel, to use electronic devices to communicate information that violates any wildlife law or regulation."

So it is illegal to use electronic devices to communicate something that violates the law? Makes me laugh...

When you're road hunting you can stick your shootgun out the window and shoot birds no more that 50 ft away. If they are more than 50 ft, you might wing em and have to actually get out of the truck and shoot em a second time. :cheers:

Back