Diesel Gelling

BUSTA WOOSTER

What do you guys use to prevent diesel from gelling. After owning diesel for 8 years now I ran into my 1st situation with diesel gelling when the temp was down to -28.........Looking for any advice!

Either use #1 diesel or put in some Power Service diesel additive, if it has already gelled you need to use the Power Service 911 stuff it is in the red jug. In addition to the 911 get it into a heated shop and when it is thawed change the fuel filters right away. If you use good winter fuel you should never have a problem with it gelling up.

Last wednesday was a crazy morning. I had the truck plugged in (although the truck lives outside), let the truck warm up for 20-25mins. After driving 1.5 to 2 miles I was losing power in the truck and could not drive much over 30 miles. Each time the truck had a chance to idle at a stand still it would run better. I turned around and limped the truck home and pluged it in again. Once temp was up to negative 10 the truck ran fine. I assume the diesel was gelling up. I have never put additives in the diesel. This is a 05 duramax. Previous to that I had a 6.0L ford that would start harder, but never gave me problems running in the cold. I've always used the same diesel fuel. Seems like that morning there were 4 or 5 diesel pulled over all varying makes. I assume they were having similar problems.

I would just use the Power Service anti gel additive when you know it is going to get real cold and you should be fine then, if it works for us it will surely work for you:) When is the last time you changed your fuel filters, maybe you have some moisture built up in them?

Thank you gentlemen. I will try the anti-gel diesel additive. I changed the fuel filters about 3 weeks ago (with about 500 miles of travel since then)
Thanks again!

Either use #1 diesel or put in some Power Service diesel additive,
If you use good winter fuel you should never have a problem with it gelling up.

My Kubota tractor lives outside all winter. I make sure I use fuel which has been "winterized". And also use the Power Service diesel additive just to be sure.
It has never failed to start right up and run fine. Last winter it got down to -20 F something up here.

NB

I got a notice from my fuel distributor that the new fuel with the epa requirments is more prone to gelling at higher temperatures and that areas of the US that haven't worried about gelling before now have to. The company that does injection pumps for me reccomends using Stanadyne. year around and that keeps diesel pretty good. Although anytime the temps head south of 0 blended fuel or just #1 is the way to go along with an additive.

Back