Deworming dogs

Crossing shot

I was thinking about deworming my dogs. I do not know if they need treatment. I have four dogs. I live in Northwest Missouri. Last time I took a fecal sample to the vet, it costs me $32 just for the testing. That was 10 years ago. I can almost buy dewormer for 4 dogs for that price. However, I do not know if these meds are effective. I live in country and have a fenced yard so the dogs are not in close contact with other dogs.

I thought heart worm meds took care of most worms. However, the low cost vet clinic that does my vaccines and heart worms recommended a dewormer. Was surprised.

Do you guys regularly deworm your dogs? Any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks

Last edited:
I use Sentinel Spectrum Heart Worm preventative. It gets heart, round, hook, whip, and tape worms. Not to mention fleas. Never had a worm problem in the last 25 years. Prior to Sentinel I used Interceptor until it began to be hard to get it.

What are you using for heart worm preventative? If its Ivermectin do yourself and your dog a favor and switch over to Sentinel. And stay away from Trifexis, it is bad stuff.

https://www.sentinelpet.com/about-sentinel-brand-products/sentinel-spectrum

Last edited:
For my three dogs, I give Tri-Heart, it is ivermectin. says it's good for heart, round and hook

Take care of a vet's dog. it gets interceptor plus, milbemycin/praziquantel. good for heart, round, hook, whip and tapeworms

Tapeworms are not visible in their stool. That leaves my dogs not covered for whipworms

Use Ivermectin once a month for past 30 years. Although the dosage I use is considerably higher than what Highvoltage uses. 1/10th of cc for every 10 lbs of body wt.

$23 does my 4 britts for 2 years. Roughly figures 25 cents per dog per month. Last worms in my kennel came from a stray I picked up.

Thanks for the replies. Still wondering why the clinic recommended worming. I would not think about except new dog eats lots of grass. I am used to dogs eating grass.

Think I will treat for whip and tape worm. New dog came from a big breeder.

Use Ivermectin once a month for past 30 years. Although the dosage I use is considerably higher than what Highvoltage uses. 1/10th of cc for every 10 lbs of body wt.

$23 does my 4 britts for 2 years. Roughly figures 25 cents per dog per month. Last worms in my kennel came from a stray I picked up.

I give his recommend dose for deworming round, and hook worms. Which is 1 cc per 75 pounds.

Back