December 9-11 Report west of spirit lake

Jake1424

After two days of tough walking around the spirit lake area, finally found the birds yesterday. Pheasants are in the cattails. Yes the thick swampy looking ones you don’t want to walk. Every single swath of cattails I walked yesterday I put up birds. Sometimes in the double digits. Shot a three man limit by 1pm when we only shot 1 bird per day the two days prior. Plenty of Roosters left if you’re willing to work for them. I only hunted public too. If I could give any advice, I would say stay away from the large patches of public land that have been walked daily already. Find the outlier pieces with cattails and trek through them. You will be rewarded.

Nice work. We beat the waterways, not not much the "thick" stuff, more filter strips. Not a ton of birds, my buddy's dog got out in front a few times, usually when there were birds. Only 2 for the day, worst day we have had, but still a great season, even if it ended now. Winter weather will get them concretrated...about the time my late muzzleloader season starts!

Nice work. We beat the waterways, not not much the "thick" stuff, more filter strips. Not a ton of birds, my buddy's dog got out in front a few times, usually when there were birds. Only 2 for the day, worst day we have had, but still a great season, even if it ended now. Winter weather will get them concretrated...about the time my late muzzleloader season starts!
I’m thinking about heading back December 28-30. Any recommendations on where to go? I’m coming from WI so really anywhere in the state is fine. Appreciate any help!

Back