Dec 6th 2020 report

Kevin W

Did a quick late morning early afternoon hunt in western Iowa today. Walked 2 spots and got 1 rooster out of each. This is my young labs first season and she continues to do really well. Kepa was able to put both roosters up, I was able to make both shots and Kepa made both retrieves. Pretty much perfect. I can't say enough about the "tone" feature on the sport dog collar I run with Kepa. When I press the tone button Kepa hears the tone (not a shock) and she is conditioned to come right back to me. So much more fun than yelling Back!!! Back!!! Back!!! all the time. 4 other roosters seen in the ditches road hunting but they were all too close to a farm house or livestock to safely go after.kepa 12 6 20.jpgkepa 12 6 20 pic 2.jpgkepa 12 6 20 pic 3.jpg

Good work. If your home containment system has a tone/shock (wireless or underground), they are ready are conditioned to change what they are doing when they hear tone. Our duo got 5 yesterday and 5 again today.

Thanks!!! No home containment system for me and thankfully I haven't had to use an actual shock on Kepa in over a month. Let's hope that keeps up!!!

The collar I use has a vibrate setting and that works really well for my Otis. This is his first year as well and he's proving to be a great tracker, but he gets in a hurry. I'm always worried that he won't find the scent again when I draw him back to me. Though, he's pretty good about picking it back up.
The only time is gets more than 20 yards from me is when he's on hot scent and I know right away I have a runner. I'm having a lot of fun watching him progress. Now if we could get one to sit tight. I won't be able to hunt until later this month anyway, so hopefully it gets real cold and there is less foot traffic out there.

Back