Curious about the sandhills

duckn66

What about around Valentine? How is the bird hunting up there traditionally? I'd love to make a trip out of KS for a change of scenery and walk through the sandhills. Is there much for quail around that area? Probably more grouse and pheasant habitat? I'd guess that the drought up there has done the same as it has for KS upland this year. Sucks but I guess that's the cycle of life.

May never make it there but I love to dream about making a big trip somewhere even if it's just "up the road to NE" LOL

Just got back...

I was at Valentine and the surrounding area this past weekend. I don't know how KS looks but the area around Valentine was pretty burnt. I hunted the grasslands in the national forest on the recommendation of the local biologist.

It was hard finding the pastures that hadn't been grazed. Most of the areas had been overgrazed. I only saw 3 birds over the course of the weekend. They're there but you're going to do a lot of walking to find them. A big running pointer would have been a better dog than my flusher for the area.

It was too hot to hunt much past 9am or before 5pm (see 1st picture). On the other hand, the scenery was beautiful. Reminded me again why I love Fall.

I'm going back this coming weekend to hunt the NWR south of Valentine. Hopefully have better luck there; it looked greener with more cover. I'll post results if anyone is interested. ND or Pierre NG in SD might be a better bet but I haven't been to either place yet this year so they might not be much better.

Hobie thanks for the reply! The hills look beautiful, burn't but beautiful. I love the prairie and would go more for the scenery probably than anything.

Kansas is looking burnt, grazed and hayed.

I'm picking up what I think is a nice male pointer in a couple of weeks. He hasn't hunted for a while (long story) so I will be conditioning him and working him on some birds before the season get rolling here. Was thinking about going to NE around Thanksgiving time if I do in fact get to go. I'm traditionally a waterfowler but used to do a fair amount of upland hunting so I'm goint to attempt to become more diverse in the coming years and do a little of everything again.

I'm going back this coming weekend to hunt the NWR south of Valentine. Hopefully have better luck there; it looked greener with more cover. I'll post results if anyone is interested. .

please do report back. i'm very curious. also interested in hearing how spooky the birds are this time of year.

Would love to hear a report as well. I'm wondering however if around Thanksgiving time would be worth a trip? I'd love to try to find some sharptails. Killed plenty of chickens but never a sharpie or hun.

I was at Valentine and the surrounding area this past weekend. I don't know how KS looks but the area around Valentine was pretty burnt. I hunted the grasslands in the national forest on the recommendation of the local biologist.

It was hard finding the pastures that hadn't been grazed. Most of the areas had been overgrazed. I only saw 3 birds over the course of the weekend. They're there but you're going to do a lot of walking to find them. A big running pointer would have been a better dog than my flusher for the area.

It was too hot to hunt much past 9am or before 5pm (see 1st picture). On the other hand, the scenery was beautiful. Reminded me again why I love Fall.

I'm going back this coming weekend to hunt the NWR south of Valentine. Hopefully have better luck there; it looked greener with more cover. I'll post results if anyone is interested. ND or Pierre NG in SD might be a better bet but I haven't been to either place yet this year so they might not be much better.

Wow that looks like work hunting that type of terrain i dont think im tough enough for that type of country you could walk forever there how do you know where to go ?

Report....

I tried to pay attention this time so I could give some concrete information.

First, Nebraska is a really cool place. Everyone I met was nice and helpful. I'm sure there's wingnuts there like everywhere else but I never ran into any. Just honest, friendly, helpful folks. Sometimes having out of state plates can make things a little weird. So thank you Nebraskans. I was hunting east of Valentine.

Overall my main impression is it's too da$# hot to be hunting. Legal shooting hours started around 7:00 am and ended around 7 (sunset). I hunted til 9am Sat and Sunday and called it good. By 10:00 am it was over 80 degrees F on both days and I'm not giving my dog heat stroke. I won't be back again til November but expect it to to be a lot more enjoyable by then.

I hunted Cherry, Brown, Rock, and Blaine counties. Went a little over the gas budget but that's hunting. There's birds there. I saw sharptails on telephone wires, gravelling up on the sides of roads, and 2 were standing right in the middle of the highway as I was coming back into Valentine for the night.

Saturday my dog flushed a double out of weeds right next to standing corn. No corn in the crops. Sunflower seeds, ladybugs, and I think what was alfalfa. Little bright green leaves. The corn was still standing in that field so maybe that's why none in the crops?

Started looking for birds that went back to roost and an hour or so later flushed a covey of about 20-25 birds. I missed. Even as I pulled the trigger I knew I was shooting behind them. They were sitting on top of hills.

I never flushed anything from the lee side of hills except a couple of hen pheasants. The grouse I found were right on top. I did find a couple in the shade of small juniper trees later in the afternoon but only once.

At a location at the southern end of my journeys I found no birds but a couple of roosts and again they were right on top of the hill. Not near water and the cover was minimal.

I had the best luck hunting with the wind at my back and sneaking up the steepest side of the hill to surprise them coming over the top. It's not like hunting a CRP field with waist high brush. Lots of cactus, yucca, and side-oat gramma grass.

The birds stayed in the grass but it's not heavy and they were very spooky. The wind was erratic. One minute no wind the next a steady 20 mph that would last for 30 minutes then back to still. I didn't see the wind making them any more or less spooky.

OAP in answer to your question I have a highly scientific method of hunting which consists of getting out of the car and following the dog wherever he rambles off to. Okay it's a little more specific than that but not much. I usually work the wind and try to pinch birds against open areas but this is all open. So I just walked the tops of all the hills around. Lots of up and down.

I had some good suggestions from some parks and game people and I also drove around at dawn looking for birds out in the open. When I saw them near public areas I got out and hunted or marked the spots for future trips. Other than that I just did a lot of walking. The one constant was I always found them at the highest spot in the section I was hunting. Hope that help some.

If you can get onto a bean or corn field you'll do better from what the rancher I talked to told me. I have to suck it up, get over my shyness, and ask permission next time I go to get on some bean fields.

I saw sharptail at the Oglala NG but nowhere near the numbers I saw in Cherry and Blaine counties. I wouldn't bother with western NE until it recovers from the drought. Most of the rivers were low but they all had water in them. The canals were all dry. There was surface water but not much. Glad to have those windmills handy for the dog.

All in all I'd say if you have a good pointer and like to walk it's definitely worth a trip but it's not like going in to the hedgerow and walking out an hour later with your limit of roosters. I tried to give an idea of the terrain with the pictures below. Sorry for the length of this.

Great read!!

Would you say it would be a beneficial to boot up your dog there?

Are there Huns in that part of the state?

I'm like you in that I very much dislike asking permission to hunt. It always makes me feel like I am bothering people by knocking on their door asking to hunt their land. It's also the getting turned down once or running into someone having a bad day that seems to put a damper on the whole ordeal as well. So I pretty much stick to public land and sometimes I get lucky and will run into a land owner who tells me to come up to his place and do some hunting without even having to ask. Although those days are few and far between anymore.

But at any rate thanks for a great report. Sounds like you had a great time with the exception of some warm weather.

I tried to pay attention this time so I could give some concrete information.

First, Nebraska is a really cool place. Everyone I met was nice and helpful. I'm sure there's wingnuts there like everywhere else but I never ran into any. Just honest, friendly, helpful folks. Sometimes having out of state plates can make things a little weird. So thank you Nebraskans. I was hunting east of Valentine.

Overall my main impression is it's too da$# hot to be hunting. Legal shooting hours started around 7:00 am and ended around 7 (sunset). I hunted til 9am Sat and Sunday and called it good. By 10:00 am it was over 80 degrees F on both days and I'm not giving my dog heat stroke. I won't be back again til November but expect it to to be a lot more enjoyable by then.

I hunted Cherry, Brown, Rock, and Blaine counties. Went a little over the gas budget but that's hunting. There's birds there. I saw sharptails on telephone wires, gravelling up on the sides of roads, and 2 were standing right in the middle of the highway as I was coming back into Valentine for the night.

Saturday my dog flushed a double out of weeds right next to standing corn. No corn in the crops. Sunflower seeds, ladybugs, and I think what was alfalfa. Little bright green leaves. The corn was still standing in that field so maybe that's why none in the crops?

Started looking for birds that went back to roost and an hour or so later flushed a covey of about 20-25 birds. I missed. Even as I pulled the trigger I knew I was shooting behind them. They were sitting on top of hills.

I never flushed anything from the lee side of hills except a couple of hen pheasants. The grouse I found were right on top. I did find a couple in the shade of small juniper trees later in the afternoon but only once.

At a location at the southern end of my journeys I found no birds but a couple of roosts and again they were right on top of the hill. Not near water and the cover was minimal.

I had the best luck hunting with the wind at my back and sneaking up the steepest side of the hill to surprise them coming over the top. It's not like hunting a CRP field with waist high brush. Lots of cactus, yucca, and side-oat gramma grass.

The birds stayed in the grass but it's not heavy and they were very spooky. The wind was erratic. One minute no wind the next a steady 20 mph that would last for 30 minutes then back to still. I didn't see the wind making them any more or less spooky.

OAP in answer to your question I have a highly scientific method of hunting which consists of getting out of the car and following the dog wherever he rambles off to. Okay it's a little more specific than that but not much. I usually work the wind and try to pinch birds against open areas but this is all open. So I just walked the tops of all the hills around. Lots of up and down.

I had some good suggestions from some parks and game people and I also drove around at dawn looking for birds out in the open. When I saw them near public areas I got out and hunted or marked the spots for future trips. Other than that I just did a lot of walking. The one constant was I always found them at the highest spot in the section I was hunting. Hope that help some.

If you can get onto a bean or corn field you'll do better from what the rancher I talked to told me. I have to suck it up, get over my shyness, and ask permission next time I go to get on some bean fields.

I saw sharptail at the Oglala NG but nowhere near the numbers I saw in Cherry and Blaine counties. I wouldn't bother with western NE until it recovers from the drought. Most of the rivers were low but they all had water in them. The canals were all dry. There was surface water but not much. Glad to have those windmills handy for the dog.

All in all I'd say if you have a good pointer and like to walk it's definitely worth a trip but it's not like going in to the hedgerow and walking out an hour later with your limit of roosters. I tried to give an idea of the terrain with the pictures below. Sorry for the length of this.

Hobie take me there i have no problem getting out and getting permission i get it i bet 8 or 9 times outta 10 its easy and i do have two good pointers the black and white one is really good and thats saying something for me to call a dog good lol Those up and down hills might get to me i will have to admit its hard to get me off of flat kansas maybe we could meet sometime in nw ks how far you from there ?

Hobie take me there i have no problem getting out and getting permission i get it i bet 8 or 9 times outta 10 its easy and i do have two good pointers the black and white one is really good and thats saying something for me to call a dog good lol Those up and down hills might get to me i will have to admit its hard to get me off of flat kansas maybe we could meet sometime in nw ks how far you from there ?

He pretty much told you exactly where one needs to go. Just point your truck NW and go. :cheers:
Oh and forgot to say pick me and my pointer up on your way through!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your hunting adventure. It sounds like you learned alot. I was hoping to make it up their this fall for the first time, but my wife got thrown from her horse last month. Ive been to busy taking care of her to get up there and hunt. She is starting to heal though. I will be ready for the pheasant opener in south central Nebraska!

Bigj,

Glad your wife is healing up. Getting thrown is no joke. I work with 2 people that are permanently busted up from their horses. I'd love to hear how the phez opener goes out there!

Back