crops?

Most, if not all, of the corn is still standing near Hecla west of Britton. Just got off of the phone with a buddy with a place out in Hecla who stated there are seas of corn still standing which made his four days of hunting very difficult.

Jags, thanks for the info. I was out in britton for opener and it was wet,windy and lots of corn, made hunting difficult. thanks again

JMuller....I had a more detailed conversation with my buddy who just got back from Hecla. He reflected the same sentiments as I have personally seen in 3 trips out to Eureka this fall....bird numbers are not great, lots of water, closed roads and lots of standing corn for the birds to hide. One good bit of info is that the sloughs are frozen according to him. I am hearing from my father-in-law that he may not even harvest his corn this year amounting to thousands of acres. My buddy also did not see the birds in the road in the morning and in the evening getting grit like usual. A very odd year no doubt.

jags, thanks again for the info. The conditions sound just the same as opener. I will maybe try another area and get back to britton area later in the year. thanks again

just got back from hunting the britton area, 11-20 thru 11-24, lots of water/flooding. wow, could hardly believe it. still lots of corn, saw birds and even managed to get a few. I've seen the water problems before in this area, been hunting there since 1996, but never like this. I hope the farmers and people will be ok and I hope the birds will find away to make it.

Back from Britton area last night. This was second trip and still lots of corn and cattails are not frozen. Could not let dogs in them at all.

Back