Colorado - Week 4

Went out on Friday knowing that it was going to be a hot one and was not wrong, the temp in the truck said 74 around 2pm. Started in our usual spot with flushing one hen after a nice point by Orley my GSP. On to the property and checking in with the land owner before heading out on his land. Our normal corrals and tree line didn't produce like weeks earlier but the road side ditch and retention pond did. walking the ditch put a rooster up with a miss by my cousin allowing me to connect with the bird sending it into the telephone poll giving us a good laugh, then my cousin flushed 3 roosters and a hen from the corner of the dry pond leaving me to watch and stay ready. After he reloaded his side by side another rooster flushed turning my way which i thought was just a bit out of reach and held off just in case there might be a closer one. Boy was i right as i walked around the tree branch hanging down the rooster jumped from behind and sown form me making me spin around and shut off balance letting the sneaky bird live. Lots of water for the dogs and ourselves before heading to the next WIA. I was on the right by the barbed wire fence splitting two CRP fields with some weed patches dotted on the fence row where Orley went on point then relocated around the weed going under the fence and stopping with a great point. So i'm standing on one side of the weed and then the fence then Orley knowing that something is in between us and with one step the young rooster pops up and then back down with my shot sending Orley racing after the crippled bird jumping and running until she got it in her mouth. She did so good for an 8 1/2 year old i was very impressed with her ability to find birds and she always gives it her all. Off to the next spot which put four roosters up in a tree line and giving my cousin his first for the day, mine were just to far ahead of me. then 8 hens flushed one after another at our last tree line of the day leaving me jumpy for the rooster but not this time. Left for home earlier then usual due to the heat but ending the day with three birds for the day. This again was my forth day i had the opportunity to limit out just didn't due to a few hurried shots. Next weekend will be in a hurry and we will do it again.

Safe hunting to all.

It definitely helps to have some private property to break up the WIA, but we are doing a lot better then last year in them and have noticed more birds all over. We use a GPS to track our hunts and so far this season we are averaging around 9 miles ever time we go out so the birds aren't dying by the truck, as for our legs their pretty dead by the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

I came down with a virus and was out of commission for the week and holiday weekend. Hope to head out this weekend.

Back