Cold weather hunting questions

mstand

First, we used to take our dog in the hotels with us. But we have discovered that it is easier and much more restful to just leave them in the truck in their kennels. For cold temps, we wrap the kennels in quilts and have straw in them for bedding. This seems to work out well. When we get them out in the AM, they feel warm to the touch. But, just out of curiousity, is there any kind of a heater that you can safely put under your topper to keep them a little warmer. Even if it was a very low heat soarce I would think it would help.

Then, I am tired of dealing with frozen water spouts on our water bottles. We end up just opening the lids and letting them lap the water out. The spouts waste less water. What do you guys use for watering on very cold days? I thought about camel backs, but then i would think the hose would freeze...
Thoughts.

as long as the air infiltration is kept to a minimum, a kennel cover or blanket wrap is fine, the dog's body heat reflected will keep him toasty warm.

i carry 2, 3 gallon water jugs from REI. take them in the room at night...much easier to carry and fill instead of a 5 gallon jug...and i get 1 more gallon. small enough to ride on the floor in the back too, if it's really cold outside.

right, but what about when you are in the field for 2-3 hours straight. How do you keep the nozzles from freezing?

I carry two sets. When in the field for a spell, the other bottle is in the truck and then vice versa. In extremely cold weather the bottle in the truck will have one or two hrs prior to freezing. If we are now talking artic cold--at my age--their isn't a pheasant worth harvesting that equals the health of Sophie or myself.:)

Will post pics as I am now heading home from Bancroft. Two very cold days indeed to remember!

Back