Christmas in Colby

Beckejac

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to the forum after just discovering it a few days ago. I will be headed from northeast Wisconsin to Colby on Christmas to attempt to find some birds. I will be traveling with my girlfriend and my two Brits, Penny and Piper. I am just wondering if this will be a good spot to find some birds? The majority of our hunting at this point is on state land where the WI DNR stocks birds, so all of my days out are hit or miss depending on when the birds are stocked and the amount of pressure from other hunters. We will be hunting on Walk-in land primarily, and I am wondering if this area is productive? If this isn't productive, what is the best way to find private land? just knocking on doors? We will be in the area for 4 days and I am very excited to get my dogs out to run fields and do what we love! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Walk in should be productive in your area , private land is likely better especially CRP next to a crop feild , if the family you are visiting farms or knows farmers that's your in find some likely spots and have them call for you for access or let them know who you are staying with a number of land owners are accommodating if they know your family . You will have plenty of "runners " if your Britts track foot scent stay close to them when they are birdy . Please let us know how you did !!! Merry Christmas !!!

when you ask for permission make sure your girlfriend is with you with a smile
I’m a big old ugly guy but my daughters always get permission lol

I’m serious it helps a lot

have a good hunt look for brushy tree lines for quail

Thank you for responding! We won't be staying with anyone local unfortunately, just headed there for a great family getaway we all will enjoy! I chose Colby due to the bird forecast and the density of walk-in areas. But bases off of your responses and previous threads I will be trying for private land, the worst I can get is a no! I will be sure to keep you updated on how the hunt is going. Hopefully the dogs will get on some quail, I have never had the opportunity so it would be something new to cook up!

Thank you for responding! We won't be staying with anyone local unfortunately, just headed there for a great family getaway we all will enjoy! I chose Colby due to the bird forecast and the density of walk-in areas. But bases off of your responses and previous threads I will be trying for private land, the worst I can get is a no! I will be sure to keep you updated on how the hunt is going. Hopefully the dogs will get on some quail, I have never had the opportunity so it would be something new to cook up!

Beckejac - brother and I will be up that way later this week--likely Thursday & Friday. Let me know if you want to link up.

I'll have my lab and my brother will have his Draht.

Last edited:
yeh, what they said. NW kansas has plenty of walk in and the farmers don't mind if you hunt and appriciate you asking

Back