Chamberlain or Aberdeen?

UWBadger

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and was wondering if I could get some advice on hunting spots in South Dakota? My father and I will be making our first trip to South Dakota on November 5-8. After perusing the 2010 Pheasant Outlook guide and talking to a colleague who hunts south east of Chamberlain every year, I decided to book a hotel in Chamberlain. After reading some post on this site I am now questioning my decision and looking into changing my plans and going to Aberdeen instead. Iâ??m looking to hunt public land and wondering if anyone has opinions on either of these regions as possible hunting destinations. Thanks in advance.

From what I have read and been told if you are going to hunt around Chamberlain get your wallet out! Aberdeen area has more public area but it's finding "the" spots is key. But what do I know, I have the same questions.

Our group hunted around Chamberlain last year. There is plenty of public land around the MO River on the east side, and even more if you head west of the river. Plenty of birds as well. Good luck!

Try This Place

Give Tom Scott a call at "Double J Hunts"

Tom and Kathy Scott
16031 390th Avenue
Ashton, SD 57424
(605) 472-0287 (home)
(605) (605) 460-1717 (cell)

His place is about 9 miles North of Redfield on 281. Prices are very fair.

The email is: info@doublejhunts.com

Lock and Load! :D

I vote Chamberlain

I hunted both this year, primarily public, some private and saw more birds and fewer hunters around Chamberlain, both sides of the River were good.

We found one rattlesnake west river last year...the first day we were there it was close to 70 and sunny. It got colder after that and we never saw another. From what I undrrstand, as long as it's cold you shouldn't have to worry about snakes.

I never saw any snakes and it was pretty hot some of the days, I stayed away from prairie dog towns, or atleast the one I knew of. Pretty cold and late to find snakes now, I would not worry about it.

Back