central/north central report

11/19 North Central: Ice ice and more ice. Ice started around hwy 14 and went north.

never hunted ice covered habitat before. Surprisingly birds held TIGHT!! Like, one of my labs pointed and then the flusher came in and had to jump on the bird to get it up. It was like opening day. I pushed an area that held birds 3 weeks ago and low and behold they were still there. 75+on one lil push. had my limit by 1020am. weird doing it that quick. some buddies of mine met up with me 15 minutes later and we got another 4 out of that public ground. W stopped at some school grounds that had been partially hayed. flushed up 30+ birds on that piece. most birds had headed to the standing corn field across from it as they were cackling/ laughing at us by 3 pm.

Central: We moved onto a WPA that we had hunted in years past for the golden hour and interestingly, we walked the entire thing and w 5 minutes left we walk to the truck and we flushed up another 50+ within 50 yards of our truck. (slap my head) hahaha. we had our limit. Birds at the WPA were in the cattails. dogs worked hard.

Things I noticed. Ice was tough walking. dogs had to hop/leap for each step. if the grass was tall enough they could submarine it. Birds held incredibly tight. all were full of corn. so the ice didnt hamper their ability to get food.

Do NOT over look the blue on the SD app. we only hunted a small portion of it and we are sure there were more birds in there. we just ran out of time that day and wanted to move onto something closer to where we were staying before golden hour.

11/19 North Central: Ice ice and more ice. Ice started around hwy 14 and went north.

never hunted ice covered habitat before. Surprisingly birds held TIGHT!! Like, one of my labs pointed and then the flusher came in and had to jump on the bird to get it up. It was like opening day. I pushed an area that held birds 3 weeks ago and low and behold they were still there. 75+on one lil push. had my limit by 1020am. weird doing it that quick. some buddies of mine met up with me 15 minutes later and we got another 4 out of that public ground. W stopped at some school grounds that had been partially hayed. flushed up 30+ birds on that piece. most birds had headed to the standing corn field across from it as they were cackling/ laughing at us by 3 pm.

Central: We moved onto a WPA that we had hunted in years past for the golden hour and interestingly, we walked the entire thing and w 5 minutes left we walk to the truck and we flushed up another 50+ within 50 yards of our truck. (slap my head) hahaha. we had our limit. Birds at the WPA were in the cattails. dogs worked hard.

Things I noticed. Ice was tough walking. dogs had to hop/leap for each step. if the grass was tall enough they could submarine it. Birds held incredibly tight. all were full of corn. so the ice didnt hamper their ability to get food.

Do NOT over look the blue on the SD app. we only hunted a small portion of it and we are sure there were more birds in there. we just ran out of time that day and wanted to move onto something closer to where we were staying before golden hour.

Back