Cell Service Provider?

Thanks Remy. I've had good coverage with Verizon but they are starting to kill me on cost. I use my phone as a hotspot for network access when I am out there hunting and would hate to lose that due to lack of coverage.

Just curious who you all in the Plains States are using for Cell providers. Verizon vs. AT&T.
verizon. excellent.

Verizon every place in SD we have hunted. MT it was spotty to nothing in places. But not sure if other options would have been better??

We just upgraded 4 phones on Verizon and the rep moved us down to the Unlimited Welcome plan, and our bill actually went down. The only thing we lose is always-on mobile hotspot, but we didn't use it that much. We are able to turn it on as needed for $10/month.
We switched from US Cellular to Verizon 5 years ago and our coverage with Verizon has been excellent, even when I'm out hunting in remote areas of Iowa.

Verizon. Had Sprint years ago and couldn't make phone calls in my KC neighborhood....and Sprint headquarters were in KC. I stay with it because I seem to be able to make or get calls in most areas I hunt. That said, the price sucks and I would switch tomorrow if I knew I could get close to equal coverage.

I have Verizon as my carrier and it works well for the most part in the great plains, live in michigan.

I get a phone for free at work but when I paid for one, I did straight talk. It was Verizon service for a lot less money. I dont even know what a cell pan thru one of the big providers costs now.

Here at the Ponderosa only Verizon works. When the family comes out with their ATT phones they get very limited or no service.

Thanks Remy. I've had good coverage with Verizon but they are starting to kill me on cost. I use my phone as a hotspot for network access when I am out there hunting and would hate to lose that due to lack of coverage.
Tom, Look into straight talk. I am. Verizon owns them and they use Verizon towers. Talk to Lab...

Last edited:
I have been satisfied with AT&T over the years. Generally if there is a tower there, AT&T is on it, or soon will be. There have been many times when I had coverage and people on other carrier did not, even in places like Rapid City. But if I am in some parts of SD I have to drive to the top of a hill to get line of sight on a very distant tower. No biggie, keeps the mobs away. :)

Thanks for the replies. Looked at options but will just stick with Verizon.
Happy New Year!

Verizon. Had Sprint years ago and couldn't make phone calls in my KC neighborhood....and Sprint headquarters were in KC. I stay with it because I seem to be able to make or get calls in most areas I hunt. That said, the price sucks and I would switch tomorrow if I knew I could get close to equal coverage.
I haven't made the switch from Verizon yet, but I recently learned that Spectrum uses the Verizon network. They are much cheaper and I'm considering the move.

I haven't made the switch from Verizon yet, but I recently learned that Spectrum uses the Verizon network. They are much cheaper and I'm considering the move.
My phone has been repaired but is starting to heat up again. It's several years old. I just got up to SD for another 5 days of hunting but I am going to explore my options when I get back home and trade my phone in while it is still working. I will look into Spectrum. Thanks.

I googled carriers that use Verizon towers. There are numerous carriers that are really cheap. I am going to switch soon. Verizon has the most and best towers for reception. But their plans are very, very, expensive.

Last edited:
I looked into Spectrum and Straight Talk. Both use the Verizon towers and Verizon either owns them or has controlling interest in them. It's not easy to get clear information on the services but it appears they don't get the same priority, bandwidth or service from the network that direct Verizon users do. That makes sense since if it was exactly the same service why would anyone choose full price?
I was looking at the possibility of saving a few dollars to start the new year. But the net for me is that Verizon has served me well in the mountain and desert west and I never lost coverage hunting in SD so for the sake of a few bucks a month I'll just stick with the service I have.

Back