Can you road hunt in Kansas?

ron

I glanced through the regs tonight and didn't see the rules that pertain to road hunting or the discharge of a firearm in ditches.

Is it legal?

Thanks in advance.

Straight from the handbook

I glanced through the regs tonight and didn't see the rules that pertain to road hunting or the discharge of a firearm in ditches.

Is it legal?

Thanks in advance.
This is straight out of the KDWP handbook.........It is illegal to hunt, shoot, or trap on private land without the owner's permission. Hunting from public roads requires permission of the landowner adjacent to the side of the road being hunted. Railroad rights-of-way require permission from the railroad. Hope that this helps clarify it.

It is illegal to hunt, shoot, or trap on private land without the owner's permission. Hunting from public roads requires permission of the landowner adjacent to the side of the road being hunted. Railroad rights-of-way require permission from the railroad.

Great Information! I did not know this. Thanks!

Kiotehuntr...thanks for the clarification.

Something I'll have to get used to after hunting Iowa for years.

Makes sense...fair enough.

Last edited:
Kiotehuntr...thanks for the clarification.

Something I'll have to get used to after hunting Iowa for years.

Makes sense...fair enough.
I'll admit I do my fair share of ditch hunting. I'm lucky enough to know just about all the farmers in the areas that I hunt and which ones to steer clear of and which ones won't care if I do ditch hunt. I have shot many a limit from the ditch and never set foot in a field. It blew my mind when I first went to South Dakota that for the most part road hunting was legal. Man I was like a kid in a candy store....:thumbsup: :D

I am not a lawyer, so can't speak to the legal issues of road hunting in Kansas, but here is how it was explained to me. In Kansas the landowner owns to the section line, which will be the center of the road, should there be a road. If there is a road the township has an easement on the private property for the road. That road easement will be half on one side the section line and half on the other. In Kansas the road easement is for only road use by vehicles and utility company use and does not give the township or public the right to hunt in those road easements.

There are places where there are no roads along the sections lines and according to what I have been told, the public has no legal access to travel those section lines.

Maybe there is a Kansas attorney on here that can give better and more accurate information, but that is the way I understand it.

BTW, I believe in the regs a few years ago, it stated that to hunt the ditch you had to have permission from the landowners on both sides. Also, I think at one time the regs said on railroad right of ways you had to have permission of the railroad, plus the adjacent landowner.

Thanks for the info.

If the WIHA land implies permission, how about the ditches adjacent to them?

Mr Byrd is correct. In kansas to road hunt you have to have permission from the landowners on *both* sides of the road. I must have read the same reg book at some point.

Back