California Ammo Background Checks

NewmanCA

Anyone go through the process? I went through it. What a mess. I am not in the CA DOJ system because I have not purchased a firearm since background checks went into affect. It was a mess. Too much to get into detail now

Yeah, the check took about 10 mins, I went to a Big5, The manager was the only person allowed to run the check. I was ready for the process and was very patient and curious about what info they needed. I had purchased a firearm last year, so I was in the system. Make sure you have ID with Physical address, that seemed the most important issue to the lady. She told me that it will be easier once I have the new federal ID, which is next year for me. The manager lady made the process fairly painless, for me anyway, but she said it takes a bit of time and most people are impatient and pissed off about the law, then take it out on her. I set aside the time, with the thought that I was gonna walk out with no ammo. I'll say this much, ammo was hard to find and was lucky that they had one case of what I needed and it had just came in. She told me to stock up, so to keep from having to go through the process too often. I have since ordered enough for a bit.
My advice, Don't take your frustrations out on the sales people, write your congressman and give them a piece of your mind. There has to be a form letter you could print and send to them.
California still has a lot to offer, Just have to wade through the BS to get to the Meat.

I never took it out on any of the staff. I reminded staff it isnt their fault such stupidity exists. This is my story. I go to walmart. They tell me I need real ID or birth certificate even though DOJ states old unexpired licenses are allowed. Okay. So next Walmart tells me they only do $1 background checks, not the expanded checks. So I head out the following day to Big 5 in Modesto and pay $19. It took about 3 days and online it says I was approved and have 30 days to buy ammunition. I was in Los banos the following week and stopped by Big 5 over there. I run the $1 check and it comes back denied. The clerk says I need to create an account on a website which I did. He also says the CA DOJ changed the rules. I now have three options. 1) Register an old gun 2) buy a new gun and register it 3) pay $19 for an expanded check everytime I attempt to purchase ammunition.

If I could buy two cases of shells with that $19 it wont be so bad but I have never found more than a few boxes of upland steel shot at any one time at any store location I visited. Walmart has not had any steel shot for upland since july but their shelves are overflowing with lead no one is buying. Luckily I bought a decent number of boxes before the new law went into affect. I have not purchased a box of shells since the law went into the effect. Still thinking about which way I want to go. Hopefully the judge hearing the case issues an injunction. Between the ammunition background law and steel shoot nonsense, this whole think is a clusterf

The "take it out on the employees" is just a suggestion to the masses. Yeah, good luck on finding steel shot in the size you need, if you can find it, buy as much as you can afford.

Everybody needs to learn how to reload. I've reloaded steel in 1 1/4 oz. when lead was first outlawed and it worked OK. The components and recipes have improved enormously since back then and there's no waiting or paying of fees to buy components. They now have #8 steel so there's really nothing to prevent creating the loads you want. It's a little cheaper and gives you something to do when there's nothing to do.

Back