Brood Reports?

Hello All, Originally from Western Kansas. Now living in Coffey County. I have been seeing a lot of quail in the evenings when I train my dog. Great to see. Friends been seeing more pheasant broods out west then previous years. Anyone else hearing the same?

Disappointed that I am not seeing any broods in the road ditches. Saw my first in a road ditch in Haskell County last week. Hoping to see more soon.

Seeing quite a few quail, including a few broods here in Montgomery / Chautauqua counties. I have two hen turkeys with a dozen poults between em coming through the yard every morning.

Hello All, Originally from Western Kansas. Now living in Coffey County. I have been seeing a lot of quail in the evenings when I train my dog. Great to see. Friends been seeing more pheasant broods out west then previous years. Anyone else hearing the same?
I live in the same area and hearing/seeing the same.

Talked to biologist today who just finished up a brood survey. In some area's they are seeing more than last year. However, in the county where I live and the county to the west they are not. He said we are still in D2 and that emergency haying and grazing has begun which will make it worse.

I was looking at our stuff last weekend. There were LOTS of quail calling, and I also saw a few while driving. Those that I saw I would not have called chicks, but I don't know what a 6 week old quail should look like. I also saw a couple of pheasants in the ditches and ONE pheasant "chick". The pheasant chick flew extremely well, but was noticeably smaller than a November bird, seemed to have little to no tail, and I could not tell if it was a hen or rooster. The cover looked great and so did the milo.

Talked to biologist today who just finished up a brood survey. In some area's they are seeing more than last year. However, in the county where I live and the county to the west they are not. He said we are still in D2 and that emergency haying and grazing has begun which will make it worse.
Tell them to put the mowers away and hook up the flatbed, hay coming out of ears here in the Southeast.

Back