Brag a Little About your Dog

BritChaser

Let's hear some good stories about members' dogs' unusually excellent performances in the field -- something kinda special they did.

Hate to brag

Every time i brag about my ep he makes an ass out of me lol oh well,out of the hundreds of points retreives the one i really like is we were out in ncentral ks and we had pushed some birds in weedy ditches by the road so my buddy and me were walking each sise and a cock gets up my buddy knocks it dow in a cut wheat field about forty yards out it hits the ground takes off as fast as a phez can run meanwhile hammer sees the phez it has about 100 yards on him hammer runs him down first swipe at grabbing him the cock goes up in the then down and it was over lol without a dog that was a lost bird

Tony was point and I flushed the Rooster. I shot the bird and knew it was hit hard. I watched from the hill I was on, as it flew across a highway and about 300 yards into the field. Gaining altitude all the way. I knew from experience, when it dropped it would be totally dead. I marked the area where it dropped and carefully got Tony across the busy highway. I had to cross a creek and while I was doing that, Tony was already in the field hunting. When I got to where I could see him, he was on point. I went in flushed the bird and got it. He took off as if he knew where another live bird was and went on point again. However, no where near the dead bird. So I went in for the flush and bagged my second bird. We were quite a ways off to the right of the dead bird. Only good fact is we would be working into the wind to find it. Have you ever gone hunting for a bird with the hopes your dog does not find one? If Tony went on point, again on a live bird. I could not shoot it. I would then be over limit, with the yet not found dead bird. I hate to waste game, I would rather take my chances of finding the dead bird.

Tony followed my hand command to hunt in that direction and soon he went on point. I said; “ah-ha he has found it”, with a sigh of relieve. He then released his point picked up the bird. On my voice, "fetch" command and started for me. I then gave him the whistle "retrieve to me" command, as he was coming to me. Suddenly, he just stopped, dropped the bird, looked around and took off hunting. I still cannot figure out why he did that. Maybe because it was out of sequence for him. I went over picked up the bird it was still very warm so I knew it was mine. I called Tony to “come to me“, unloaded my gun and told him, “lets go home. We have our limit.” To me good dog work is priceless.

Back