Bird Hunting Ridgway Area

finnpac

My Son's Moving To The Ridgway Area In A Couple Of Weeks, And Is
Bringing His Shorthair With Him. Is There Any Decent Bird Hunting
In The Ridgeway/ Ouray Area? Thanks, Steve

There are several hunt clubs in the area surrounding Ridgeway. Uncomphagre Hunting Club, Black Canyon Wing & Clay, and Montrose Hunt Club. Unfortunately for Pheasant anyway, there is not very much public land left that holds a lot of wild birds anymore, and most of what I hunted years ago has gone to leases. However, there are some areas to hunt wild Chukar and Quail. River bottoms below the Gunnison River Gorge area and below, are excellent for Chukar. I also hunt for quail in those areas as well. I have a Vizsla that I hunt with and we have seen a bumper crop of Chukar while floating and flyfishing those areas during this summer. PM me if you would like further info on these areas.

Steve,

I also forgot to mention that at the higher elevations surroundig Ridgeway he should be able to find "Dusky" or "Blue" Grouse at the higher elevationsas well. Without trying to sound snobby, and creating a stir in the forum, I just don't enjoy he Blue Grouse hunting as well as Pheasant, Quail, and Chukar. :)

Back