Bird Flight Speed

there is nothing faster than a covey of qual barreling out from under your feet and scaring you to death

When you're hunting quail, your shotgun has to move much faster to align with the target. It is much easier to shoot pheasants than it is quail. In terms of scale speed and accelleration, quail are faster w/o a doubt. I use blockers for pheasants b/c I don't want them running out the end. I'm sure pheasants run much faster than quail.

KB,
I think you are correct that pheasants run faster than quail. there legs are longer than quail. your also correct in speed of swing of your shotgun. i also agree that pheasants are easier to shoot. bigger target? I dont know if i agree with quial speed and accelleration.?? It maybe because of gambels vs bobwhite. as i have not had the pleasure of hunting the bobwhite quail. imho the gambels dont fly as fast as pheasants. every year i have to relearn that by slowing down my swing. i mean i waste perfectly good ammo shooting in front of the little devils, because they appear to be flying way faster than they really are flying. i dont know what do you think:)

KB,
I think you are correct that pheasants run faster than quail. there legs are longer than quail. your also correct in speed of swing of your shotgun. i also agree that pheasants are easier to shoot. bigger target? I dont know if i agree with quial speed and accelleration.?? It maybe because of gambels vs bobwhite. as i have not had the pleasure of hunting the bobwhite quail. imho the gambels dont fly as fast as pheasants. every year i have to relearn that by slowing down my swing. i mean i waste perfectly good ammo shooting in front of the little devils, because they appear to be flying way faster than they really are flying. i dont know what do you think:)

Yes, I question the accelleration of quail being more than that of a pheasant as well. I suppose it may just be that it's easier to get your eyes on a pheasant right out of the grass than it is a quail. Gambles vs. Bobwhite....I have no idea. I've only hunted bobwhites. Sounds like a couple of guys who need to swap hunts down the road sometime. Bobwhite quail wingshooting action is faster than pheasant wingshooting action w/o a doubt. I have on many occasions had the opportunity to see both explode out of the same bit of cover and the quail get out of range before the roosters do.

Back