Biggest differences between ugly dogs?

Abbeyroad

For those of you who've spent some time around the woolys, what are the biggest differences you can pick up on in terms of temperament and relative strengths between the breeds? My main experience has been with gsps - great, almost instant bird dogs, natural retrieve, low maintenance, stylish on point, decent on cripples. Very friendly dogs with humans - one was a little prickly with other dogs. Both of mine were females. The primary downsides: poor water tolerance ***(I don't hunt waterfowl so we don't go out of our way to expose the dogs to water - could be our bad) and hyper around the house - hard to have them out of the kennel without ordering them to 'stay' in one spot. They'll do it, but it's obedience, not temperament that makes it so.

How do the other breeds compare in these areas? My own experience with them is limited so tough for me to compare. BTW, if I could find/own a calm gsp that was the equal to the dogs I currently own in the field, I'd never move away from the breed. in fact I might look at a started gsp down the road that has a proven calm demeanor. I've seen 'em, just never owned 'em. I'm considering the woolys (wpg in particular) because my buddies that own them have generally calmer dogs than me for the 340 days they aren't hunted, which makes a huge difference in quality of life! I'd like to hear your impressions of these other breeds from your own experiences - thanks much!
AR

I have grown a ton of facial furnishings this season, and if anything it has only made me more anxious to be outside running around. I guess I just don't belong indoors... :laugh:

My GWP has been pretty typical as far as energy in the house. Not destructive, but tends to pace some and takes awhile to settle down if she isn't getting enough exercise. She'll also pick up random objects around the house and bring them to me. I think it's just a little nervous energy that needs to be run off. When she's getting exercised regularly, she's a perfect angel in the house. My .02, regular exercise makes hunting dogs into good house dogs.

I'll give a strong second on the exercise being important to have a happy house dog. A dog that is bored can be destructive. My setter is a pain in the rear right now, bugging me constantly for attention. He's not getting enough exercise with the cold weather, as I'm too much of a whimp to venture out some days.

There are mellow GSPs out there!

I have two GSP females (7 months and 3 months) and they live in the house. Both of them have a "switch" where they are go, go, go when they are out playing, but when I want them to calm down and sit or snuggle they will. Neither of them give me any trouble when it's crate time either. I was a little surprised about the older being so calm when I'd heard that GSPs were wound up like energizer bunnies. I talked to my breeder (who checks in with me from time to time to see how the dogs are doing and share hunting stories and pics) and he said that his line has that trait where they seem to be able to turn of the hyper and just chill. If you want to stay with the GSPs there is hope for a dog that isn't going 90-to-nothing constantly and it not being strictly obedience.

I only have 4 GSPs ( and three EPs) in the house at the moment but most of my life thats been 6-12 gsps in the house on average for the last 40 years. None of them wouldnt settle and all of them were "busy" until age two

I think on average they are better bird dogs than wires but the wires are real popular in ND and places where its bitter cold.

Theres probably more difference between various lines of shorthairs than there is between shorthairs and wires.

Ken breeds what you are looking for what I consider the old style shorthairs, his dogs are top notch dogs.

http://www.eaupleinekennels.com/

My PP is has a pretty good off switch. He does need a run just about everyday, but I would think must good dogs do. He is turning out to be a pretty good dog. he will be 2 in mid March. Smart, lots of drive so he tests you at times...

Back