Best way to plant pen raised quail for hunting?

A question? I’ve had luck just planting them out in grass clumps prior to letting dogs out. My experience is if you wait too long they’ll start whistling. My .02

Place your cage in some cover and prop open the door and let them walk out on their own. Then an hour or so later come back around and pick up your cages. I usually put anywhere from 3-6 in a cage so it kind of resembles a small covey. Has always worked well for us.

Place your cage in some cover and prop open the door and let them walk out on their own. Then an hour or so later come back around and pick up your cages. I usually put anywhere from 3-6 in a cage so it kind of resembles a small covey. Has always worked well for us.
Hmmm. I've never tried this, but like the idea. Especially when working dogs that just want to ground track you. Do you find that they stay relatively close to the area you planted them in? I'd imagine that they would be pretty spooky too.

I went to the national gamebird convention in Orlando probably 15 years ago and heard a guy from Texas that runs a quail preserve talk about doing it this way and I liked the idea too. The quail stay relatively close to the area and they are very spooky when done like this. Funny thing is I remember asking a question to one guy that runs a huge operation "how do you plant your birds?". His response......."boy, you plant milo and corn, we RELEASE our birds!" Still to this day I get a chuckle out of that one!

Back