behind on training?

belle

I have a 6 month old viszla that knows the basic commands: come, stay, etc. I play fetch with a frozen quail with her and shoot a .22 about 50 feet away from her and she doesn't mind. Should I be stepping up training with live birds and bigger guns? We also have several rabbits in our yard (yes, I have been taking care of them but can't keep up!!) she works were they have been and tries to trail them. Should I be scolding her for that?

I have a 6 month old viszla that knows the basic commands: come, stay, etc. I play fetch with a frozen quail with her and shoot a .22 about 50 feet away from her and she doesn't mind. Should I be stepping up training with live birds and bigger guns? We also have several rabbits in our yard (yes, I have been taking care of them but can't keep up!!) she works were they have been and tries to trail them. Should I be scolding her for that?

At this time I probably wouldn't scold her for tracking or chasing rabbits..It helps developed the pray drive..I would let him or her chase anything it wants..take your time and have fun..:thumbsup:

If your dog is coming , staying, fetching and you have shoot over , and is only 6 months :eek: I would say your way ahead..

Last edited:
your doing fine, Dont push it too much this is still puppy time keep everything fun. I have not owned a Viszla but if this is your first one, be careful and take your time, I have read several places that they tend to be a little soft compared to say a GSP or Pointer. By soft I mean that they do not handle pressure or a heavy hand very well. Good luck and keep it fun!

thanks for the input. her feelings are very close to the surface, a rough voice is enough to correct unwanted behavior.

Vizla Training

I would distract or turn the the dog away from any rabbits, but give her a little lead on the scent. I think taking the dog for walks in the country where you can shoot a gun or a large caliber hand gun is very effective. Just touch off a shot every one in awhile during the walk like it's part of the fun.

Back