been out yet ?

mmelton

Anyone been out grouse hunting yet ? I'm heading to the northern lower the 22nd-27th to try my luck. My Small Musnsterlander watched me pack the gear in the truck tonight and has been at my hip all night. I cant wait to get away from the hustle and bustle of life for a few days and into the woods with my dog. Birds in the bag or not don't care just need a few days to get away with mans best friend.

I've been out turkey hunting one morning so far. I keep meaning to get out and try some rabbit hunting on some state land by me before firearm deer season starts but haven't found the time yet.

Heading up tonight for a day hunt before I have to come home and get back to work... The way the wife has the weekends packed with kids stuff- I envision a lot of day hunts to the north of me happening.

We will be hunting around Houghton Lake area- so hope we get into some birds.

We hunted for about 5 hours. 20 birds moved. More grouse (12) than woodcock- but the grouse were really jumpy. Had two areas with three birds together rest were singles.

grouse #s were up in the areas i hunted young birds still hanging together. 1st encounter with a porcupine on the woodcock opener kinda killed the day, pulled over 50 quills out of his mouth before i had to have the vet sedate him for the last 21. Hunted him drunk the last hours of the day. Hope he learned his leson. The pig came out of the brush as i was pulling quills looked over his shoulder at us as if to say stupid dog

grouse #s were up in the areas i hunted young birds still hanging together. 1st encounter with a porcupine on the woodcock opener kinda killed the day, pulled over 50 quills out of his mouth before i had to have the vet sedate him for the last 21. Hunted him drunk the last hours of the day. Hope he learned his leson. The pig came out of the brush as i was pulling quills looked over his shoulder at us as if to say stupid dog

Hope u shot his ass??? Damn porcupine's!!!

Did u get any birds over that stud? I'm very interested In breeding my dog this winter man maybe private breeding? I can get my dog approved for breeding just have not yet...

Shoot me a pm with your cell number & we can keep in touch I lost that last cell with ur # in it...

P.S. u going to SD this year or? Herd good things in ur hunt area in past... Happy hunting mmelton...

na, porcupine didn't sound like good dinner. I only took one grouse and one woodcock my two friends took a grouse each and 5 woodcock between them. Heading back up the 8th to the 16th. If I head to SD this year wont be til Dec thats a big maybe.

Here are my number for September points/flushes/kills for Grouse 27/71/8 and woodcock 50/84/14 with a just over 23 hours hunted. Grouse are still bunched up and many hanging out in the trees, they just don't play fair. Woodies are fairly abundant but tough shooting conditions with so much foliage still on the trees. Hunting should only get better as temps and leave drop and the woodies start migrating. Just have to keep throwing lead at these birds.

Got my first Michigan Grouse last week.

injhvxJh.jpg

Congrats, I'm sure there will be many more finding their way into your game pouch. The grouse have not been playing fair this year, a lot of them are flushing 8 - 10ft off the ground or even worse eyeball height!

Back