Beaver City, Nebraska

treedaddy

Anyone live or hunt around Beaver City? I may have an opportunity to hunt private land close to there next year. I have English pointers and would like to be where there are quail. I have been to SD and Kansas on public land, but may go to Nebraska next time.

Not good

treedaddy,

I've been hunting that area for the past 15 years. We actually bought a little house in Danbury because the hunting was so much better than it was here in Colorado. The last 3-4 years it has been terrible. Not sure why. We used to see 6-8 coveys of quail every weekend. Strong coveys of 15-20 birds or more. It was a blast. And the pheasant hunting was good too. Not great, but we'd get shots at 6-10 roosters in a weekend. So, coupled with the quail it was always worth the 5 hour drive. And we got out 6-8 weekends every year.

I went twice last year. Saw one small covey of 6 quail one weekend and a covey of about a dozen the next. I took one bird out of each and didn't follow for another on either. I actually felt kind of bad even shooting one bird with the population so low.

Not sure what has happened there. Pheasant numbers are supposed to be up, but I was out one weekend and saw maybe 5-6 wild flushing roosters. It was bad. I haven't been back. I started hunting around St. Francis, Kansas, thinking it might be better, but it was tough there, too.

I am heading to the McCook area over New Years and will let you know how it is.

I've been really puzzled by the decline of the quail population. Someone said its because the turkeys have overpopulated. And there may be some truth to that. I think you can take 4 turkeys on a tag.

Anyway, I will give you a report when I get back. Although if it is really good I may PM it.:coolpics:

Beaver City

We hunt around wilsonville which is west of Beaver and east of Danbury.
Opening weekend this year, we flushed alot of pheasant. Got limit first day. One bird the second day, they disappeared, although talked to some guys up in Cambridge who already had their limit. Found them in wheat stubble, they said. We tried that in the afternoon but found none in the stubble. Flushed quite a few on monday, my partners couldn't hit broad side of a barn. Got two quail opening day out of a good size covey, the only covey of the trip. Could be because of the turkeys, don't know, but there is a butt load of them back there.You can only get 1 per tag, and you can get 2 tags, plus expensive.

Back