Bancroft Redux

KBell

I waited several days due to the high winds we have been experiencing to make my return to Bancroft. According to forecasts I was supposed to experience a 5 to 10 variable wind today.

Upon arrival, what do I have-fairly strong winds in the 15 to 18 range. When in Rome. . . . . I hunt!:)

It took considerable time to gain a solid point today. The wind speeds and conditions negate Sophie's abilities. We finally draw down on a runner at the edge of the cover. He makes a break for it and it takes two shots--both hits but the second is close to 45 yards to bring him to earth. The thud and bounce alone should have killed him!:D Next point is 40 minutes later. Huns--around 9 or 10 flush directly in front of Sophie. Appear in great condition and wondered if I could of hit one if they were on my palatable list? In a stiff 15+ wind I am not so sure.:confused:

It's close to noon now. We are in a dry cattail patch in the middle of a 80 acre public CRP patch. Sophie's point yields 3 hens who make quick work of crossing, and leaving left to right in the wind. As I watch them sail off Sophie relocates and bumps up the second rooster of the day. For whatever reason he flies directly into the wind and is suspended--literally---in front of me for a point and shot knockdown. I hunted two parcels and drove by one other today. I did not see another hunter.:( I did hear two shots about 8:30.

Two birds today but I will take it!:) Tough conditions--the previous two days would have been very rough-40 mph winds. Saw zero deer and total count of 7 hens and 4 roosters and one covey of huns.

Cleaning revealed greens and corn in the crops with substantial body fat deposits on these two early hatch 2012 roosters.

Sounds like you had a good hunt. I spent the opener around Eagle Grove. 4 guys and we had our limit on Saturday, a few on Sunday. Great work from my pup on his first contact with pheasants.

I've been there twice. Find good cover around water and there's birds.

Those two hunts have had some meaning for me. My grandfather grew up on a farm near Eagle Grove. My dad has first cousins in Bancroft and Algona. But I haven't had any contact with those folks for a few years. Dad's generation are all passing away and my generation isn't close with the more distant cousins.

Back