Back from the heat

Flushedup

;) It was a hot one this past weekend, eh? Our group of 6 did well on the 1/2 day we hunted on Thursday, and short day Friday. Then the locals came out and Saturday and Sunday were tougher.

We hunt the Eureka area, and points south. Thursday we arrived to 76 degrees and some decent wind. Wyatt ran like crazy for the first hour and then slowed some, but after water breaks would recharge nicely (this was for the whole weekend). We got his first SD bird about 30 minutes into the hunt :10sign:

Friday the temps again shot up to the mid 70's, but the wind was lower. Sneaking up on birds was getting tougher. The evening hunt was great however, and we almost limited.

Saturday, the temp pushed close to 80. Wyatt spent a lot of time soaking in the water from cattail sloughs, and the wind was virtually non-existant. Birds were jumping from 100 yards away in all directions and it got pretty frustrating.

Sunday, started with very windy conditions, so hunting was decent in the morning. As the day went on however, the wind gradually slowed and the temps rose. By 4:00 it was identical to the day before and after Wyatt flushed his last bird of the day at 4:30 we couldn't get close to another one.

Monday was rainy for the short hunt in the morning, and the whole way home was in a shower or hard rain - free truck wash :thumbsup:

Had a lot of fun, and can only take what mother nature gives ya - looking forward to another trek out there.

Oh and a side note, don't buy a cheap e-collar for your dog. All the time Wyatt spent in the water fried that piece of junk. Waterproof my rear! Looking for a replacement now, any good ideas for less than 250 bucks?

I am heading out on Friday to the Eureka area. We are starting to hunt on Sunday and will be there for a week. Any good tips? I have hunted this area in years past but have not been out there for three years.

I am heading out on Friday to the Eureka area. We are starting to hunt on Sunday and will be there for a week. Any good tips? I have hunted this area in years past but have not been out there for three years.

Back