Anyone planning to chase chickens ?

gettinbirdie

I shot one early one morning during late season pheasant. I heard they aren’t that great to eat- I loved it! I’m wondering if it’s more effective to hunt them in September.

I killed 4 chickens in 3 trips last year off of 3 patches of walkin. Sure some of it was beginners luck. May be one of my new favorite things to do.

Last edited:
I got 2 pointed in KS last season. Flushed them, watched them fly, petted up the dog, told him to go find some edible birds.

I hunt them every year, they are my favorite gamebird. Personally, I think they are delicious, but they need to be cooked rare, like dove.

I got 2 pointed in KS last season. Flushed them, watched them fly, petted up the dog, told him to go find some edible birds.

My approach to chickens as well. ;)

Cook them like doves. I like to marinate in Italian dressing for a few hours then grill to medium/rare.

Cook them like doves. I like to marinate in Italian dressing for a few hours then grill to medium/rare.
I cook my doves to medium well, and my duck breast to medium rare. I've cooked those chicken a variety of ways, and to different levels of doneness...I'll leave them all for you.
Late season chickens won't stand much pressure, gettin a chicken pointed in KS in December usually means you have a good dog.

If I ever bag another chicken I will try this.

I ate that one I got last year and like I said- it was really good. The meat is dark and lean-you really do need to know what you’re doing in the kitchen. Not a lot of room for error. I roasted my bird- pulled it at 158 degrees internal. Let it rest 5-10 minutes, it was amazing.i hope to get into a few again this year

I shot one early one morning during late season pheasant. I heard they aren’t that great to eat- I loved it! I’m wondering if it’s more effective to hunt them in September.

I've never tried in early season - Always too hot or I find a reason not to go.

I like trying for them in late December/January - harder to do but fun - I can normally find them when I try - getting a shot is always the challenge. Last year cattle screwed it up for me - I know where a flock likes to hang out and we did everything right - but the dang herd spooked the birds as we were getting close -- I think the cattle were moving completely random and just happened to make a beeline for the spot we were headed and the birds like to hang out.

I never or very rarely hunt early morning - always have luck finding em mid morning to evening time and in between. Lots of walking though and finding where the cattle grazed just right.

Thanks for the response KsHusker as I’m wondering if it’s worth doing in September.
The heat is something I just don’t miss here in Texas! I may just stick with the Dakotas to kick off my season. I hear Nebraska has a good amount of chickens too....

I’ve hunted them in Nebraska, them and Sharps. Had a great time hunted them early and got some good points. I also saw some in SW Kansas in the late season that were wild as heck

Back