Anyone Hunting this weekend 12/4-12/5

GustavDaGSP

Ill be out tomorrow with my Dad and my Gsp in worthington!
Hope the pup can show my dad how he has come along this season and give him a point or two!
Sunday not sure where i will go all depends on how saturday goes but will be out with my brother his friend and my buddy we will have my 7yr. old lab and a 4 yr. old springer pretty sure with the snow and four guys two dogs we can pound some smaller cattail sloughs!
Good luck to everyone going out drive safe! :thumbsup:

Hope to give it hell next weekend. :thumbsup:
Good luck the birds should hold tight in the swamps today with all the fresh snow.

Since I'm without a canine partner until next year, I'll go tomorrow if someone with a dog gives me an invite (hunting partner is out of town) . . . won't hunt Pheasants without one. If that doesn't transpire, I'll go thin the coyote population around some of my favorite bird covers. I'd go today, but I'm just having too much fun with a vacuum, mop, duster, and laundry collection . . .

Gonna be heading for the Cattails as soon as I get done working and my Wife gets done (2:00pm). I will have a couple hours to try for my first 3 Bird Limit of the year!!

Boy did I suck

Man I could not hit anything today. I do have excuses.:D three roosters got up in the sun so I did not shoot untill it was too late, could not tell what they were:mad:. Then I wiffed a couple more. Hunted cats and Odie was steady so he is bummed at me. All the hens were point blank and easy shots but the wrong color. But it was still fun. Just would have liked to give the dog a retrieve. I put up around 30 birds at least in a couple hrs. It was tough walkin, lots of stinking snow drifted in now.

Went out yesterday in the snow to Lac Qui Parle. Did really well, the first 8 birds we seen were all Roosters. We did get our 6 birds (2 people). We hunted from 9:00 to 1:00, then headed home before the roads got to bad.

Anyone have a report of the snow in the western part of the state. I've been out in the central areas and found quite a bit of snow and birds this week. Was wondering if the walking would get easier the farther west you go.

Redemption

Two shots 2 roosters. Forgot we can shoot 3 now till I saw Dc's post.
Went out for an hr walk after the game. What was funny was I flushed one right in the yard. It flew down the road and landed in the ditch on our private land. As I walked down to the road a guy was driving by and slammed on the breaks passenger jumps out and thinks he is going to shoot the bird I am leaving alone.
" Not". I yelled at him and they jumped back in and sped off.:D Ahole. So I walked past him, down the road a 1/2 mile and walked some cattails in a public hunting. Ice was fine there, made it easier walking, but I would still watch it in areas, I saw some spots where the snow was wet.
PC050139.jpg

PC050136.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a productive, albeit cold hunt, FC. Well done; good-looking pup & shotgun, too. As for the "road shooter" (I refuse to associate such ilk with the term "hunter") . . . unfortunately, they are everywhere . . . regular vexations to the spirit.

Looks like a productive, albeit cold hunt, FC. Well done; good-looking pup & shotgun, too. As for the "road shooter" (I refuse to associate such ilk with the term "hunter") . . . unfortunately, they are everywhere . . . regular vexations to the spirit.

Yes it was chilly, dog was covered in ice chunks. She was a nut as usual, hunting under the frozen cattails.:D It was comedy when those guys realized I was right behind them. Sure was able to load a gun quick. He definitely jumped out fully loaded as the truck stopped. This is not what I would call walking a ditch, this is how I define road hunting. I have no problem if they walk a ditch where it is legal. Here it is not on our side as all the land owners own to the center line of the road, township. Crazy, there was 160 acres of public they could have beat me to.:D actually saw foot prints from another guy and dog from yesterday. Still got birds. Both near corn fields in the cats.

Last edited:
FC
the one bird looks to have some nice size tail feathers.:thumbsup:

Saturday:Not a bird to be seen not in the cats not in grass Mia until the sun came out around 230 then its was a free for all me and my dad ended with 3 dew to bad shootin could have had are limit i guess u cant hit then all! :(

Sunday: 4 guys 2 dogs busted cats dogs put up 50+ hens off a wpa slough then we got access to a private slough that was vary small ended up baggin 7 rooster to end the day! Alot of birds to be had yet they are flushing wild or holding really tight !

Back