Anyone heading out for small game opener?

Ranger Rick

Just back in the office after running Max in the fields during the noon hour. He and I are excited to hit the woods this coming weekend.

I was up last w/e and had a great 4 days with the pup in the woods and will be up next weekend to try and put it all together. Good luck to you.

Max and I ran into a few grouse on Saturday. With all the rain we've received, the foliage is lush and heavy. He got a good workout in, which was the goal. In early season I hunt older aspen, more open than prime grouse cover and so expect to see fewer birds. I never saw any of the birds we put up. We'll be out again this coming weekend.

Max and I ran into a few grouse on Saturday. With all the rain we've received, the foliage is lush and heavy. He got a good workout in, which was the goal. In early season I hunt older aspen, more open than prime grouse cover and so expect to see fewer birds. I never saw any of the birds we put up. We'll be out again this coming weekend.

How were the ticks and misquitoes? lately i've been getting eatin alive whenever i step outside.

I'm headed up N tomorrow afternoon for the weekend. Hopefully the weather holds out and we can get a couple of hunts in. I've waited 3 years for this day to come. Its time to get it on.

How were the ticks and misquitoes? lately i've been getting eatin alive whenever i step outside.

The areas I hunt don't have a lot of ticks. Not so right around Wausau, where I live. Deer ticks are so bad on county lands that I no longer hunt there.

I didn't see many skeeters on Saturday. It was breezy, though. There are still some pestering in the evenings around the cabin. At home lately I have been leaving the patio door open when grilling.

Some leaves are beginning to turn, but leaf drop is minimal. I'll hunt early season spots again tomorrow, but will also try some younger cover just to see what it's like.

Darn, but next weekend a nephew gets married, so I'm on the bench. No playing time for Max and I. He's going to be so mad at me for taking a weekend off during the season.

Had a decent weekend, staying with my brother and his wife. The girls hung out at his place while we hunted. Couple grouse and woodcock. Sunday hunted in pouring rain. One grouse, but we sure got soaked. Got back just in time for Packer kickoff.

Leaves still heavy on the trees. A little color showing. Hopefully by the time I'm out again we'll have some leaf drop.

I got into a couple flights and shot two limits of woodcock this past weekend. Had them for dinner last night and so good!

Leaves are really coming down now and shooting opportunities are a lot better. I think the timber doodles were running on me. It sounds odd, but they do run on occasion, or waddle is more like it. But while you're closing the 20-40 yards to the point, he's waddling off. A lot of the birds also blew out more like a grouse, instead of helicoptering up before leveling off. After shooting my limit in short order I headed to more mature Aspen cover hoping to find grouse. Missed the one I saw.

This weekend I'll be hitting it again. The following is supposed to be our trip to Iowa, but that may be put off a couple weeks. Reports are that crops are coming off slow, but what's really holding us back is that my buddy's kid works for the Packers and has to travel with the team to Atlanta. Normally he only works home games. What a job, hosting clients in a sky box at the games.

Those babies can be pretty potent. How did you cook them to make them taste so good?

Nick

Marinated in soy sauce. Then seasoned with Montreal seasoning. Browned in a fry pan, olive oil and some minced garlic. Lightly browned on each side, then turned the heat way down and let them sit for a few minutes to heat through, ended up done medium.

It was getting a little late, so I took the shortcut of just the breast. I've also done this with a hearty type of mushroom and large onion pieces. Can add zuchini, asparagus, artichoke hearts, whatever trips your trigger, some salt, pepper, basil and oregano, butter. Spoon over a bead of pasta.

I know they have a stronger taste, which is why my wife and daughters don't like them.

I also make woodcock rumaki appetizers with them. Marinated in soy sauce, Montreal seasoned. Wrap a half breast with a couple slices of water chestnut in a slice of bacon, skewer with a toothpick. Grill [i prefer on a charcoal grill] or broil, add some brown sugar and allow that to carmelize. Even people who don't eat wild game go crazy over them.

Yeah, thanks for the recipes Ranger. Uplandhunter came into the shop today. He said he has a few in his freezer. I might see if I can get a couple from him to cook up:D.

Thanks again:cheers:

Nick

Back