Anyone burning yet?

remy3424

We have most of a quarter in CRP and need to burn roughly a third of it this spring. Timing is going to need to be good with this, a little bigger project that filter strips on waterways. Hoping to have a waterwagon with a pump and an UTV with a 25 gallon tank. Mow around the perimeter with a batwing and a couple passes to create a break to hopefully keep from having the entire field burn in one year.

I mowed fire breaks on our Kansas property , we normally rake the thatch off where we mow , what works for you guys ?

I use my box blade with the teeth extended and works prettty good Also heard an old side delivery hay rake would work good .

We will need burn 90 acres next year with 50 acres being the largest. First burn, how many helpers do you recommend? Wind speed min and max? Any other tips? Thanks

I am pretty green on burning, locally, they had a class last year, but I missed it. Very lite winds I would say, especially if things are dry...watch the local weather site to see if burn warnings/banns are in-place. The longer the burning line the m ore people you will want/need. I do know you need/want wide breaks and water. Burning some filter strips last spring, fire got through a mowed break and I lost 7 fruit trees. Going to see about borrowing/renting a hay rack to get more debris off the break. Have a lead on a 1200 gallon water wagon and pump, only had a 25 gallon UTV sprayer last time. Not sure if the PF chapters will be helping, there should be a bunch of CRP locally with prescribed mid-contract maintenance coming this year. Talk to their (PF) habitat guys. Good luck, have help and be safe.

I am pretty green on burning, locally, they had a class last year, but I missed it. Very lite winds I would say, especially if things are dry...watch the local weather site to see if burn warnings/banns are in-place. The longer the burning line the m ore people you will want/need. I do know you need/want wide breaks and water. Burning some filter strips last spring, fire got through a mowed break and I lost 7 fruit trees. Going to see about borrowing/renting a hay rack to get more debris off the break. Have a lead on a 1200 gallon water wagon and pump, only had a 25 gallon UTV sprayer last time. Not sure if the PF chapters will be helping, there should be a bunch of CRP locally with prescribed mid-contract maintenance coming this year. Talk to their (PF) habitat guys. Good luck, have help and be safe.

Thanks for the info! I may have it hired for the 1st one.

We burned about a third of our quarter section of CRP yesterday, it went very well, had the local FD on site. It was planted in the spring of '16 so not tons of thatch, it should improve the habitat. We will try to burn another third for the next 2 years, this will leave plenty of early season nesting area.

Back